Black screen with blinking cursor when installing Linux

Rusty875

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
Hi guys.When I try to install redhat linux from dvd,a black screen with blinking cursor. My pc currently run windows 7 32 bit. I reset bios,the same problem appears. If i insert a windows 7 dvd,it s shows "press any key to boot from cd/dvd". Sorry for my bad englsih,and sorry if the answear is in another thread.

Solution
Do you ever see a splash screen during the install?

If so you can try holding shift during boot, then hit e to edit the GRUB entry. Remove the part that says "quiet splash" and replace it with "text" to see what's happening during boot. Report back if this happens what it says ^_^

Also perhaps try unplugging anything USB Attached

If all else fails try redoing linux onto the dvd as something may of gone wrong there. You may also have to redownload linux again just to make sure

I'm really just grasping at air here, but hopefully one of these shows something.

harryoui

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
Do you ever see a splash screen during the install?

If so you can try holding shift during boot, then hit e to edit the GRUB entry. Remove the part that says "quiet splash" and replace it with "text" to see what's happening during boot. Report back if this happens what it says ^_^

Also perhaps try unplugging anything USB Attached

If all else fails try redoing linux onto the dvd as something may of gone wrong there. You may also have to redownload linux again just to make sure

I'm really just grasping at air here, but hopefully one of these shows something.

Solution