Here's what has happened with my PC so far:
- I turned it off and moved it from the living room to my room to watch a movie. Upon turning it on, it did what I think might have been a disc check. I had updated my graphics drivers earlier, so I didn't think anything of it. Then, when I tried logging in, the screen went black with only a cursor to show that it was on. Waited for about thirty minutes, then went back to the login screen. The wallpaper was still up, there wasn't any more lagging than usual, and everything looked fine. I tried logging in again. Same thing happened. I restarted, but the problem persisted, despite me doing this several times.
- I then went to check online. Most of the advice suggested entering task manager from the black screen. I attempted this. Still couldn't see anything. Tried a couple times, including accessing it via the ctrl+alt+del screen, but it made no difference.
- Next website said to boot into safe mode and use the options there. I tried:
- Resetting the PC. I got an error after it tried saying that it couldn’t reset it and therefore no changes were made. Tried it a couple more times, with no differences.
- Startup settings. Tried debugging: got an error. Tried starting in safe mode: it just ended up with me back on that black screen, so no dice there.
- System restore: I tried rolling back to before the update was installed. The restore was successful, but the problem still persisted.
- Startup repair: tried it before the system restore, no dice. I’m trying it again now but I don’t have high hopes.
- Backing up files: when I tried to select the files, the screen froze and I had to hard restart.