Black screen with cursor after magnet got close PC.

wernsing

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Okay, so I've gone through many different problems so far. I got a new pair of studio monitors, which came with magnetic guards to put on the front of them. While I was setting them up, I stuck one of the magnetic guards to my computer case for like 2 seconds, while the computer was off. After setting them up, I turned the computer back on, and that's when problems first started.

It was running fine, but then Firefox continued crashing repeatedly. Then, Steam began crashing repeatedly like 5 minutes later. I was playing music for about 10 minutes, and then when I tried to use the start menu search, explorer.exe started crashing. This is when I started to do research, and tried troubleshooting. First I tried taking the ram sticks out and testing them individually, but I would get a blue screen when I tried that. I eventually just tried putting them both back in, and that got me past the blue screen.

Now it just launches windows, but takes me to the black screen with a cursor. I can't ctrl+alt+del from this screen. All I can do is access sticky keys, but there's no hyper link to the help center like I've seen other people getting.

I've tried running startup repair, I've tried the memory test scan, and I've tried doing a dskchk of my drive on command prompt, and they all seem to check out. I feel like I've tried everything there is to try, and I can't even figure out what the problem is. I feel like it has to be either the RAM or the hard drive that got messed up from the magnet. It was only on the case for 2 seconds, so I'm really surprised that this could've happened.

I'm not too familiar with this kind of stuff, and have never dug too deep into windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't even know what to try now. I currently have the hard drive unplugged and have the computer off for now, just in case.

Edit: The BIOS seems to still be able to read the hard drive, so I'm hoping that means there's still a chance for it? I have over 5 years worth of things on this drive, so I'm hoping there's still some way to recover it.

hazzyboy3

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
You may have corrupted some of the data on your HDD due to the magnet. Id say the only thing you can really do is try and wipe the hard drive and then reinstall a fresh copy of windows.