Black screen with cursor before login

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Hey guys, and thanks again for all of your help and time in advance. It is all truly appreciated on these forums.

I am running into a new issue, title of the thread says it all. I can see my cursor only when I move it with my mouse and my game pad I use lights up and turns off repeatedly - coinciding with this I see the little blue loading circle on the cursor only when the game pad is lit up, if that has any significance.

I went ahead and did a full system restore (thankfully I made one on May 25th when I was doing software maintenance) but that lead on no avail. I'm stuck at this point and not sure what to do next.

If it's of any importance, my last shut off I believe was a BSOD, 'Netio.sys'. I believe that BSOD has something to do with network or networking adapters. I think the reason I crashed is because my network adapter is fried and I am using a jackery5 USB to ethernet adapter and I had unplugged the ethernet port earlier that day. But that simply could be nothing at all regarding my issue here.

What should I do next?

xGovernor.

Update : I feel like I am really in a bad place now. I cannot boot into any safe mode, access Task manager or CMD from the black screen. I needed to access the recovery menu to then access it's CMD. I ran sfc /scannow and then after it successfully repaired files, I attempted to delete "Windows activation technologies" and it said it could not locate the folder. I then ran a command to unhide all hidden folders (already unhidden on my desktop but ran it anyways) and same result. I even went and started regedit to try to find it but the directory in the registry it was supposed to be located in wasn't there - so I am assuming it is non existent. I am in an extremely serious dilemma now. Please help!

I have Kali linux installed on my SSD ready to dual boot if need be, let there be any practical solution I could use with another OS to fix this. Could I make a Windows 8.1 live USB drive and then update the OS again potentially resulting in a fix?

Sep 26, 2014
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but I do have some input as I'm someone with the exact same issue. Mine, however, was caused by a Windows update. I originally had the issue 3 months ago, and, reluctant to sift through a ton of updates to find the culprit, I waited those 3 months until yesterday to try again. Same issue. In any case, if you updated recently, that may be a cause for concern. Otherwise, good luck!

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
I do not believe that Windows updated recently. I have it set to automatically update, but none were pushed out last evening anyways that I am aware of. I updated part of my OP with more info. I really hope I can find a fix soon. It is beyond comprehensible importance that I fix this. I am reading that this problem may be associated with graphics cards - but I have not updated any drivers in the past few days and I have AMD not Nvidia.

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
If someone can find me a working fix, without me losing any files or installations, I will send you $25 via paypal. You have my word on this one - hopefully my desperation, join date and previous threads can vouch on how serious I am. I have tried just about everything. Ask as many questions as you possibly could and I will answer them to the finest detail.

All I want is this to be fixed and over with. I'm fed up with Microsoft, this seemed to happen for no apparent reason whatsoever and I am absolutely ticked.

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
I apolgize for the quadruple post, and I apologize if I am breaking the rules - but I am about to do a system refresh. That means I will lose all of my installed programs and data along with them. It's a real pain in the ass because I am a proficient language learner with Rosetta Stone and all of my progress will be lost on there. All of my Photoshop and Visual Studio programming settings will be gone. I will also lose all of my Sony Vegas settings.

Last chance to claim an easy $25.

Regards everyone.

EDIT: I've decided that since no one can help me, I am going to refresh my computer. Will test and see if it even works first.

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Alright fellas, five posts in a row and we have a solution. It seems that resetting/refreshing your PC is the ONLY way to fix the black screen of death error if you are in my situation. Read through all of my posts and see what I did. Nothing worked aside from this, just barely worked as well.

JakeFr

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
I suffered this problem once on an old laptop - twice. Took me days to work out as I was reluctant to rebuild it.

I believe I tried the 'wait it out' method first and left it on the black screen hoping it was just loading for 6 hours to no avail.

Trying every option but re-installing windows I then left it for a few weeks powered off... Then voila, it booted up and pretended there was nothing wrong.

About 6 months or so later, same thing happened again. But after the first time I learned not to keep anything valuable stored and so just popped in my windows disk and started over.

Anyways, sorry this couldn't be of much help but figured I would share my story.

Edit: Also, in the future you could try removing the hard-drive. Plugging it in elsewhere to save your important data (Rosetta progress files etc.) I imagine with it being a boot issue, there wasn't actually anything wrong with the integrity of the files. You may even still be able to get them with some recovery media... Until overwritten data stays on the drives.

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Yeah it seems as if this is the only fix available for the black screen of death in our situation. Some are able to fix it, others not - like myself.

xGovernor

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Yeah it seems as if this is the only fix available for the black screen of death in our situation. Some are able to fix it, others not - like myself.