black screen with cursor only

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiizawa

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
After coming in from the outside my computer was not displaying anything and was unresponsive so I turned it off and on. I got no display at all. I removed the graphics card and plugged the monitor into the motherboard. Now I get a boot up screen with the motherboard splash art and ability to enter the bios. I start up windows normally, safe mode, and. All the other modes to run windows at all of them bring me to a black screen with a cursor in the middle. I am unable to produce anything from this screen but move the mouse around. I got my windows 7 installation disk out and tried to run a repair with no luck. I tried to system restore but claims there are no restores it can find. So I'm stuck here unable to load into any windows function and it looks like all the windows tools are not working properly. Anyone know a fix to this? Thank you and all help is appreciated.

Solution
How to fix computer (windows 7) that goes into an unresponsive black screen after start-up (with moving cursor)?

okay, i just had that problem as well. nothing works other than the cursor/pointer/mouse on a blank black screen. i did everything posted online to fix the problem (the f8, safe mode thingy and everything). nothing worked though so i tried experimenting and clicking stuffs on the keyboard. the miraculous thing happened. after clicking and doing almost nothing to the computer, something worked. it totally did work in my case so i hoped it works with yours as well. it's not the expert/computer geek solution but it solved my problem anyway so here it is...

1) press shift several times until the sticky keys window appears
2)...

FrancoGouws

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

I have the same problem. Please help!

Daryl Miller

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015

Daryl Miller

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
After searching a lot of web pages and staying up all night and just short of reloading windows, I found this web site that fixed my issue with the " Black Screen - Cursor" crisis. Having deleted the Taplika virus in programs, I still was having the same issue. I needed to delete the entry in the registry under HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run\Taplika & under -
HEKY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Taplika.exe
Here is the URL to that site - http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/Share/RegEdit.htm

compprof

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Turns out that I was getting the black screen because my computer thought a projector was attached. All I did was open the option to choose output (a shortcut key on laptop) looks like some type of box. It is the f4 button. A menu popped up, I chose duplicate screen on my external monitor and it was fixed.

TheLegendaryNoob

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
I get no link to Ease of Access if I press shift many times. I only get the message about turning off or on sticky keys. Yes and No are the only options.

If I press Windows Key and U, the ease of access shows up saying if I want to turn on "High Contrast" "Sticky Keys" etc. IfI press Cancel, it closes the window and does nothing. Help

Umer123

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I had a same problem, what i did is take out the hard-drive and connect as a external hard-drive to my second computer and scan it after that it was working fine and install back to my laptop and window boot straightway.
usually scan option will popup when you connect the hard-drive with laptop using external encloser

Status
Not open for further replies.