Question Black screen with GPU, works with integrated graphics

dwgsuperman

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hi Team - Thanks in advance for any help. I've been working on an issue with my pc for a few days and would greatly appreciate your advice. Been scanning through these forums and have been troubleshooting with no luck.

I built the PC in 2017 and its operated smoothly since. I did some overclocking of both the CPU and GPU, but haven't touched those settings in months. Used regularly for gaming. I started getting a BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" error about a week ago, which prompted me to reinstall display drivers. Also tried restore points from the prior Win10 update. That didn't help, so I reinstalled windows. Same issue, so I did a clean install of Windows and clean install of Nvidia drivers in Safe mode. After this step, things got worse. The PC would appear to boot (mobo reads A0 and regular beeps/lights), but the screen would be black.

I figured it must be a GPU issue, so I removed the GPU, went to a single RAM stick, removed all other USB/Drives except keyboard/mouse/display, and tried to boot off integrated graphics. Oddly, the PC would not boot if Win10 was installed on my SSD, but it would boot on a Win10 install on my 2TB HDD (again, with no GPU installed). I was able to get the PC to boot with the GPU installed if I force integrated graphics in BIOS, but then Win10 doesn't recognize the GPU at all in device manager. I then secured another GPU (Radeon 5700 XT 8GB) and initially was having the same issue (black screen, appears to boot).

I then updated BIOS (per a suggestion on a thread on this site) to the most recent version and was able to get the PC to boot with the new Radeon GPU (I previously uninstalled Nvidia drivers using DDU)! It booted with windows default drivers, and I installed the most recent Radeon drivers directly from Radeon. When I went to reboot, the black screen issue returned. I can now only boot if I either 1) keep the GPU installed, but force integrated graphics as the display in BIOS or 2) if the GPU is removed and running off integrated graphics.

The wires are properly installed, including the PCIe power directly to the PSU. I am ruling out a CPU or GPU hardware issue given my initial success and that I've tried two separate GPUs, and that the PC works on integrated graphics just fine. No luck switching the GPUs to different PCIE slots or using DVI rather than HDMI. Clearing CMOS also does not help. I've uninstalled/reinstalled GPU drivers for both cards with DDU/safe mode, no luck.

What's monstrously frustrating is that Win10 booted normally without the display driver installed for the Radeon GPU when I first installed it, but once I installed its drivers, reverted to the black screen issue. This makes me think it is NOT a hardware issue, but I am open to a motherboard or PSU problem. The PSU is from 2013 so near the end of its life, but that doesn't explain why it would be able to boot with the GPU that one time...right?

Other notes: Sometimes with the GPU installed, I get a 62 error code on the Mobo, other times a 99, other times it appears to boot successfully to A0.

My specs:

Win 10
MOBO: Maximus Hero VII (most recent BIOS update)
CPU: i7 7770k (not overclocked)
GPUs: Have separately tried both a GTX 1060 6GB and a Radeon 5700 XT 8GB (previously overlocked the 1060, but never the Radeon)
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8gb
HDD: Samsung 500gb SSD (PC will not boot with the SSD connected) + 2TB HDD (Win 10 install)
PSU: Corsair 650 W (from 2013)

Lutfij

Titan
What series is the Corsair unit from? Which version of the BIOS for your motherboard are you on? Often times people say they're on the latest BIOS without cross checking the support site. Aftermarket cooler? Which version of Windows 10 are you on? If you're having booting issues with a discrete GPU but not with the iGPU, it can possibly be that the PSU is failing to deliver the power your entire system needs.

FYI, the 5700XT draws more power than a GTX 1060 6GB.

dwgsuperman

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
What series is the Corsair unit from? Which version of the BIOS for your motherboard are you on? Often times people say they're on the latest BIOS without cross checking the support site. Aftermarket cooler? Which version of Windows 10 are you on? If you're having booting issues with a discrete GPU but not with the iGPU, it can possibly be that the PSU is failing to deliver the power your entire system needs.

FYI, the 5700XT draws more power than a GTX 1060 6GB.

Appreciate the reply. I dropped it off at a local PC shop with a PSU and that appears to be the problem.