Question black screen with mouse after normal login

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
When I turn on my computer I can log into my windows user account as normal but the screen immediately goes black aside from the mouse. I am running windows 10 22h2.
While the screen is fully black I don't think this is graphics related since I can move and see my mouse. Ctrl+alt+del pulls up the blue screen where I can restart or shut down or change users etc but clicking task manager does not work nor does ctrl+shift+esc or windows+r
I can get into safe mode by holding shift and restarting but get the same black screen after logging in. The difference with safe mode is I can pull up task manager and start explorer. My desktop icons load and the task/toolbars BUT I can’t open the start menu, use search or open settings so I can't get to windows update or anything found in the settings. Right clicking start brings up the options menu but if I try to access anything like settings from there it does nothing.

This all started randomly after a computer restart. The computer would hang on the “verifying DMI pool data” screen and never get to the login screen. I made a bootable Windows usb flash drive to run repairs. At some point I was told there was a bcd issue so I repaired using
bootrec.exe /fixmbr bootrec.exe /fixboot bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
rebuilding bcd got it to pass "verifying dmi pool data" to login screen. But that's where the current black screen with mouse started. I tried more startup repairs including rolling back recent experience updates but nothing worked. I did a reset (keeping data). After the reset the current black screen/explorer issue continued.
Sfc and dism both show no errors. The startup repair option either can't fix the issue or says it repaired something and restarts to the same black screen issue.
chkdsk found an error and fixed it but after about 15-20min always ends saying there was an error completing the task and quits.
I've tried disabling appreadiness and creating a new user account with admin privileges - the new admin account went to a blue screen with loading circle the first time I tried to login but then went to the black screen with the mouse.
I can't get access windows to do an install in place/update and safemode will not let me do the install either. I can do it from the usb drive but it will wipe my existing files.
I have not encountered any BSOD nor does the computer lock up or restart on its own

I've seen posts similar to this before - but they all seem to be able to access task manager and are able to run cmd or explorer from there. I can only do that in safe mode and it's extremely limited there.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
great question.
I should replace "my computer" with a "family member's computer".
As I'm trying to fix it for someone else and can't access windows properly I am unable to tell what exactly the system specs are.
It was built over 10 years ago... I'm pretty sure it's something along the lines of:

intel 2.8 or 3.2ghz quad core of some kind (maybe even dual core)
running 8gb ddr3 (maybe ddr2)
built in graphics and audio
teamgroup 500gb ssd
windows 10

sli4

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
only 1 screen is connected at a time... via vga... but right clicking does nothing so I can't get into any display settings. Even when I can right click in safe mode it won't open any display settings. The login screen does show up immediately.. it's once you're logged in that it suddenly goes black with the arrow. The arrow also does not leave the screen to jump to a second screen as it would do when spanning screens.

There has been no OS drive cloning. A new SSD was added within the past few months but it was a clean install. It worked fine for about a month or two until this happened