Question Black screen with RTX 3080 on some monitors

Apr 3, 2022
I moved country and shipped my desktop with me. Upon arriving I inspected the desktop and apart from a small clip having disconnected from one of the PCIe ports and a dent in the case, everything looked in order

I did not ship my original monitor with the machine so I purchased an ASUS VA27EHE however I was getting 'No signal' when connected to the monitor. Tried the usual troubleshooting like resetting GFX card, reseating RAM, trying different HDMI cables, update BIOS and GFX card drivers but no solution.

I connected the machine to an old TV via HDMI however and I was getting signal so things looked to point to the monitor

Replaced monitor with a Samsung monitor and I'm getting a black screen here too however it's not displaying 'No signal'. It's just black

The GFX card itself is an RTX 3080 from Zotac. The monitor works with a laptop connected via HDMI but just the RTX is having issues displaying output to it

Is there anything here I should be checking that maybe I've missed? I thought it could possibly be a damaged card from being in transit but the display working on a TV output has me thinking it could be something else

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which country were you in and which country did you move to? Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's best if you could state the specs to your build like so:

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Folks come around stating that they're on the latest on anything but it's best if you could add a version next to the BIOS/drivers that you're on in order for us to crosscheck if anything might be lacking.

How old is the PSU in your build? Also, do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch your case's exterior while your feet are making contact with a tiled(non-wooden, non carpetted) surface? Try and remove the discrete GPU and inspect the PCIe slot for any damage or stress fractures. Might want to include images of the dent and the unlatched PCIe fastener.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022
Thanks Lutfij!

How old is the PSU in your build?

It's less than 4 months old.

Which country were you in and which country did you move to?

I was previously in Ireland and have moved to Italy so there is a difference in setup as the PSU power lead is now using a converter. However the old monitor I returned used the same type of lead for power but with Italian connector so before returning I tried alternating the PSU cable so I could try and rule out if it was the convertor.

Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's best if you could state the specs to your build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad Core CPU (3.6GHz-3.7GHz/18MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME B350-PLUS (BIOS version 5606)

Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2
GPU: Zotac RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 PLUS Gold (Less than 4 months old)
Chassis: PCS ENIGMA 6003B BLACK CASE
Monitor: Samsung F27T350FH

Also, do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch your case's exterior while your feet are making contact with a tiled(non-wooden, non carpetted) surface?

No sensation however the room with the TV where I've observed the display working does seem to get a bit of static buildup, not from the PC however as this is not normally powered on. Never considered it could be this though however the PC is in another room now

One observation I've noticed when testing is that when connected in the room with the TV, the PC would reboot itself after 10-15 minutes depending on use. I have a feeling it could be a possible power draw issue in the apartment. I've only tried the monitor + pc in two separate rooms and observed the black screen

TRENDING THREADS