Black screen with small cursor showing

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello everyone,
My sons desktop now only boots to the cursor showing on a black screen . Nothing else works... Hlp would be very much appreciated. I have removed everything and reseated it. I have tried his g card in my machine and all is good. Stuck now.... It will not boot off the cd for some reason either .....
Cheers
STuart

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Hi Thanks for the answer. IFor some reason he (my son) has "misplaced" his discs.........

It boots through the bios and I can get into all that stuff but when it starts windows 7 it gets passed the small flashing window icons in the middle of the screen and then just leaves the cursor there, I can move the cursor about but its just black screen ;-(

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Hi - thanks again for the reply.

How do I make a recovery disc . I know this may seem odd to ask but I have never had to do it before.

The machine is a desk top from running dual core (FSB1333, ddr2 667), 2 gig ram, single Hdd sata, 512 graphics.

The machine is nothing to write home about. It was made from one of the local companies about 2 or 3 years ago.... and I put windows 7 on it about 6 months ago ish.. It has been running fine until the last couple of days.... He was playing a game called rapellz and it just froze and stopped working......

I can get the f8 key to work but the keyboard does not allow me to choose any options like safe mode etc. it will not let me even press enter to boot windows normally..... I can however use the keyboard prior to this .

Just very frustrating...searched the net and not much on it . I also asked some local companies for thier opinion but all the would say is ... bring it on down and we will charge you £85 to lok at it.

cheers
Stu

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I have tried changing the keyboard - no luck.

It gets to the point where it asks me to select where to boot from ... I select cd DVD and it then asks me to push any key...
I push any key and it buggers off and goes back to the screen where you select safe mode etc... the screen i can not change option in ...

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Yes its is USB, The motherboard does have a round pin to take the round plug .... I did try to boot without a keyboard but no luck there either

;-(

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

No luck...

Its just so frustrating

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
when at the screen with just the cursor in the middle of the screen are you able to press ctrl + alt + delete key to bring up task manager?

If so click file
click new task
enter: explorer.exe
press enter

stu0340

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

The keyboard is not working t the time the cursor is on the screen. The screen flashes a couple of times, the cursor appears and the system locks up....