[SOLVED] Black screen with sound. Failing gpu?

Jan 4, 2022
Hey guys I’m in need of advice! I can boot and log into my pc fine but soon after I will get a black screen. The thing is, I can still hear everything. I have monitored temps, they never go above 40C. I have also reinstalled and updated all drivers. have tried a different monitor, different cable, and different output port. Have also reseated gpu. Any ideas what’s up? Thanks!

System specs:
Intel 9700k
Msi mpg z390 gaming pro
GTX 1080
2x16gb Corsair 3600mhz ram
Seagate firecuda 2tb 520 series nvme
Corsair rm850x psu (used for 2 years)
Thermaltake view 71 case

Last edited:
Reactions: PePew
Solution
try a different cable,
different video output port,
different monitor input port.

also try re-seating the GPU in the motherboard and any PCIe power cables.
if you have a modular power supply try re-seating to both the GPU and the power supply itself.

include all of your system specs including make & model of power supply and it's time in use.
try a different cable,

if you have a modular power supply try re-seating to both the GPU and the power supply itself.

include all of your system specs including make & model of power supply and it's time in use.

Solution
Jan 4, 2022
try a different cable,

I’ve tried all of that except reseating the gpu and power supply. Will update!

Jan 2, 2022
Hey guys I’m in need of advice! I can boot and log into my pc fine but soon after I will get a black screen. The thing is, I can still hear everything. I have monitored temps, they never go above 40C. I have also reinstalled and updated all drivers. have tried a different monitor, different cable, and different output port. Have also reseated gpu. Any ideas what’s up? Thanks!

System specs:
Intel 9700k
Msi mpg z390 gaming pro
GTX 1080
2x16gb Corsair 3600mhz ram
Seagate firecuda 2tb 520 series nvme
Corsair rm850x psu (used for 2 years)
Thermaltake view 71 case
Well i used to face this issue, what i figured out was my PSU cables and its connection, try to have good cables and make sure they are seated in the Power socket properly and also you have a 3600 mhz RAM try to run it on 3400 or 3200 for now and see