[SOLVED] Black screen

kennyskotko

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
Black screen happens sometimes during gaming. Some games like counterstrike are fine and it never happens but for example, playing valheim will randomly black screen after 10 mins or after 3 hours of playing. The audio will cut out for a second and then resume and I can still hear as well as talk to people in discord or in-game if it happens in a game with voice chat. Not a loose cord or anything I can't change the display or fix the cord and go back to whatever I was doing. When it happens all I can do is restart my PC and then it's fine until it happens again. I checked windows updates as well as graphics card drivers and no luck. It only happening on certain games leads me to believe there's no way it's my monitor or cable. Not sure what else to do and it's been an issue for a while. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PC specs link below
View: https://imgur.com/3s6jttB

Graphics card GTX 980
Corsair Hx 850 power supply
Idle temps and full system info
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LcECdvY8GjERV68O6IJ8klw

Another example would Catan the board game that I have on steam. Initially, without putting in a launch code to change the display it would black screen every time after a second of starting up. Not a graphicly intensive game but would still cause the issue of black screening

--UPDATES--
EDIT: DDU did not work
EDIT: Stress tests with kombuster unable to replicate the issue. Temp can get high but still won't black screen

Last edited:
Solution
Black screen happens sometimes during gaming. Some games like counterstrike are fine and it never happens but for example, playing valheim will randomly black screen after 10 mins or after 3 hours of playing. The audio will cut out for a second and then resume and I can still hear as well as talk to people in discord or in-game if it happens in a game with voice chat. Not a loose cord or anything I can't change the display or fix the cord and go back to whatever I was doing. When it happens all I can do is restart my PC and then it's fine until it happens again. I checked windows updates as well as graphics card drivers and no luck. It only happening on certain games leads me to believe there's no way it's my monitor or cable. Not...

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Black screen happens sometimes during gaming. Some games like counterstrike are fine and it never happens but for example, playing valheim will randomly black screen after 10 mins or after 3 hours of playing. The audio will cut out for a second and then resume and I can still hear as well as talk to people in discord or in-game if it happens in a game with voice chat. Not a loose cord or anything I can't change the display or fix the cord and go back to whatever I was doing. When it happens all I can do is restart my PC and then it's fine until it happens again. I checked windows updates as well as graphics card drivers and no luck. It only happening on certain games leads me to believe there's no way it's my monitor or cable. Not sure what else to do and it's been an issue for a while. Any help is greatly appreciated!

PC specs link below
View: https://imgur.com/3s6jttB

Graphics card GTX 980

Idle temps and full system info
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LcECdvY8GjERV68O6IJ8klw
This could either be issues your Power Supply, GPU, and drivers/software. I’ve had this problem as well and it was due to my GPU since I’ve done some overclocking. Like my overclocking configurations worked fine for months but it started to black screen to I had to go back to stock speeds and it worked just fine, while my psu wasn’t the culprit since it was recently new and it was a good one (rm750, 2019).

As for psu it could be power delivery issues due to a faulty psu or a bad quality one, so please list your PSU as well since most softwares can’t detect your power supply or a motherboard not having a sensor chip to know what exact psu it’s using.

Besides running games try to run prime 95 and msi afterburner kombustor for awhile to see if you’re still experiencing crashing, watch for CPU and GPU temps.

You can also try using DDU to fully clean you GPU from corrupted or old drivers which can cause issues as well. You only said you’ve updated your GPU so I’m assuming you didn’t DDU it.

Solution

serafin152

Commendable
Feb 16, 2021
My guess would go on dying gpu or like okjak808 said : not enought power from power suplly, or maybe its something less obvious. I would recomend run OCCT and watch i if on ceratin temperature your pc crash like you described it. Cuz you said it happenes only on certain games, are those games require more of everything from you specs?

Last edited:

kennyskotko

Reputable
Nov 8, 2017
This could either be issues your Power Supply, GPU, and drivers/software. I’ve had this problem as well and it was due to my GPU since I’ve done some overclocking. Like my overclocking configurations worked fine for months but it started to black screen to I had to go back to stock speeds and it worked just fine, while my psu wasn’t the culprit since it was recently new and it was a good one (rm750, 2019).

As for psu it could be power delivery issues due to a faulty psu or a bad quality one, so please list your PSU as well since most softwares can’t detect your power supply or a motherboard not having a sensor chip to know what exact psu it’s using.

Besides running games try to run prime 95 and msi afterburner kombustor for awhile to see if you’re still experiencing crashing, watch for CPU and GPU temps.

You can also try using DDU to fully clean you GPU from corrupted or old drivers which can cause issues as well. You only said you’ve updated your GPU so I’m assuming you didn’t DDU it.
Corsair hx 850 is power supply. im about to try using DDU. I have stress tested the pc before and couldnt replicate it so i dont believe its that but ill try again.

TRENDING THREADS