Aug 23, 2021
Specs:
CPU: i7 7700
GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1060
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B250F
RAM: KINGSTON 8*2 GB 2400mhz
PSU: COUGAR 550w

The computer was working fine no problems, this happened after shipment

sometimes the computer boots normally everything is detected and working, the GPU is working completely normal in that case
but when I fully unplug the power from the case (at sleep time), after I replug the power again (wake up) it doesn't work
https://streamable.com/ilfhov <- this happens
it takes so long on the white VGA Q-led and the gpu fans never stop spinning
tried a lot of stuff I found online but none fixed the power issue
any suggestions for where the problem could be or what I should be doing to fix it?
thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Solution
first of all, thank you so much for replying I appreciate it so much
there is a lot of blackouts and such here, so to be safe I completely unplug the computer but if it won't damage it I will leave it be
I'm sorry but can you clarify more on the CMOS battery issue, and btw if I completely unplug then replug the power and boot from my onboard graphics the boot sequence is normal
If you have your PC going through some type of surge protector (typically always recommended), you will be fine with blackouts. It is normally only in issue with a surge of power / rapped on and off off the power that there can be issues though surge protectors help with that. If your blackouts are you lose power for hours at a time, this is less of an...

tecmo34

Administrator
Can I ask why you have to fully unplug the power from the case at sleep time? I would just leave it plugged in all the time and just shut it down normally. If there is RGB still going, you can change a setting in your BIOS to turn off USB power at sleep / show down, which will keep the RGB from going (or just cover it with a blanket :D ).

This seems to be a CMOS battery issue with it being unplugged from the wall (IMO). When you plug it back in, it is taking the motherboard a while to process the boot sequence from a "fresh" build stance.

Aug 23, 2021
Can I ask why you have to fully unplug the power from the case at sleep time? I would just leave it plugged in all the time and just shut it down normally. If there is RGB still going, you can change a setting in your BIOS to turn off USB power at sleep / show down, which will keep the RGB from going (or just cover it with a blanket :D ).

This seems to be a CMOS battery issue with it being unplugged from the wall (IMO). When you plug it back in, it is taking the motherboard a while to process the boot sequence from a "fresh" build stance.
there is a lot of blackouts and such here, so to be safe I completely unplug the computer but if it won't damage it I will leave it be
I'm sorry but can you clarify more on the CMOS battery issue, and btw if I completely unplug then replug the power and boot from my onboard graphics the boot sequence is normal

tecmo34

Administrator
If you have your PC going through some type of surge protector (typically always recommended), you will be fine with blackouts. It is normally only in issue with a surge of power / rapped on and off off the power that there can be issues though surge protectors help with that. If your blackouts are you lose power for hours at a time, this is less of an issue.

CMOS battery is the little watch type battery the keeps power to your CMOS chip on your motherboard that contains BIOS configuration, date, time and other information that the computer needs during startup. If it loses power, it can cause boot up problems within the BIOS which could explain your issues, specially if boots through onboard graphics which is the default setting majority of the time. It is a cheap batter to replace, so well worth the few dollars to see if that fixes the issue.

Solution
Aug 23, 2021
If you have your PC going through some type of surge protector (typically always recommended), you will be fine with blackouts. It is normally only in issue with a surge of power / rapped on and off off the power that there can be issues though surge protectors help with that. If your blackouts are you lose power for hours at a time, this is less of an issue.

CMOS battery is the little watch type battery the keeps power to your CMOS chip on your motherboard that contains BIOS configuration, date, time and other information that the computer needs during startup. If it loses power, it can cause boot up problems within the BIOS which could explain your issues, specially if boots through onboard graphics which is the default setting majority of the time. It is a cheap batter to replace, so well worth the few dollars to see if that fixes the issue.
usually, the blackouts are not really that bad, so I might just leave it open throw out the night

I was kinda familiar with CMOS battery resting, but I had no idea what it did, so thank you very much for the explanation
I would probably change it and buy a new one and see how it goes

I just wanted to ask about the unusual stuff that I was facing and if it was related to a hardware issue
when I boot from the iGPU while the GPU is plugged in -> I get a blue screen if I do anything NVIDIA GPU related (i.e install the NVIDIA drivers) and GPU fans go wild
when I boot from the GPU but I get a black screen -> my windows get corrupted (sometimes) and I have to get back to a restore point (with the iGPU) but sometimes it just a usual ordaniry black screen
when I boot from the GPU and it goes smoothly (same when I boot IGPU alone) -> everything is as smooth as butter games running fine windows running fine
note: if I want the GPU to boot normally I usually have to reseat the GPU, change the PCI-E slot, and pray that it boots normally
(i couldn't really troubleshoot it because of how unstable the GPU is, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't , i wish if it was either of those)
(i think I should have included this in the question above I really apologize)

I'm really grateful for your kindness in replying and explaining all this stuff and i am sorry for not including some necessary details

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021
usually, the blackouts are not really that bad, so I might just leave it open throw out the night

I was kinda familiar with CMOS battery resting, but I had no idea what it did, so thank you very much for the explanation
I would probably change it and buy a new one and see how it goes

I just wanted to ask about the unusual stuff that I was facing and if it was related to a hardware issue
when I boot from the iGPU while the GPU is plugged in -> I get a blue screen if I do anything NVIDIA GPU related (i.e install the NVIDIA drivers) and GPU fans go wild
when I boot from the GPU but I get a black screen -> my windows get corrupted (sometimes) and I have to get back to a restore point (with the iGPU) but sometimes it just a usual ordaniry black screen
when I boot from the GPU and it goes smoothly (same when I boot IGPU alone) -> everything is as smooth as butter games running fine windows running fine
note: if I want the GPU to boot normally I usually have to reseat the GPU, change the PCI-E slot, and pray that it boots normally
(i couldn't really troubleshoot it because of how unstable the GPU is, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't , i wish if it was either of those)
(i think I should have included this in the question above I really apologize)

I'm really grateful for your kindness in replying and explaining all this stuff and i am sorry for not including some necessary details
I'm gonna post the question again but make it more structured

tecmo34

Administrator
For your questions,
  1. Does this all happen after you unplug the PC from the wall and start back up or even during the day if you have to turn the PC off and on?
  2. Are you running the latest motherboard BIOS?
  3. In your BIOS, do you have the "Primary Display" set to Auto, CPU Graphics, PCIE or PCI? Recommended would be have it set for Auto. (see page 20 of your BIOS manual online)
  4. Have you tried booting in Safe-mode and using DDU to remove all drivers, reboot and install only the Nvidia Drivers for your card?

Aug 23, 2021
For your questions,
  1. Does this all happen after you unplug the PC from the wall and start back up or even during the day if you have to turn the PC off and on?
  2. Are you running the latest motherboard BIOS?
  3. In your BIOS, do you have the "Primary Display" set to Auto, CPU Graphics, PCIE or PCI? Recommended would be have it set for Auto. (see page 20 of your BIOS manual online)
  4. Have you tried booting in Safe-mode and using DDU to remove all drivers, reboot and install only the Nvidia Drivers for your card?
right now I am writing this from my computer using the IGPU it's running smoothly without any problems, but all the action happens when I plug my GPU in

a-I boot from the iGPU while the GPU is plugged in → I get a blue screen if I do anything NVIDIA GPU related (i.e install the NVIDIA drivers) and GPU fans go wild.
b-I boot from the GPU but I get a black screen → my windows get corrupted (sometimes) and I have to get back to a restore point (with the iGPU) but sometimes it is just a usual ordinary black screen (https://streamable.com/ilfhov).
c-I boot from the GPU and there is no black screen → everything is as smooth as butter, games running fine, windows running fine.
d-I boot from the iGPU alone → buttery smooth also (in fact i am writing this post from my computer while using the iGPU).
(in my new question https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/unusual-problems-with-my-gpu-help.3720599/)

1. as I stated in (c) if I boot from the GPU and it's working it only goes back to the state where it gives a black screen when I plug/replug the power (after cleaning the computer, before that if any type of boot happens, waking up the computer, restarting or even generic power on caused the black screen to reappear)
2.no I'm not, due to the unstable power here in my country it's a huge risk to update the bios
3.it's set to Auto, I tried setting it to PCI-E but when the GPU didn't work I couldn't do anything until I rested my CMOS
4. I deleted the drivers so many times I lost count (same for formating restoring to a previous point)

and as I said before the GPU only works after i reseat it, change the slots, etc, but adding to that, it never works if I have Nvidia drivers already installed I have to delete them first
I have tried different versions from gigabyte and the most stable new ones I found online

Last edited: