[SOLVED] Black screening after tabbing out and back into a fullscreened game.

Nov 13, 2019
So as the title suggests, I keep getting a temporary black screen after tabbing out of and back into a fullscreened game.

This issue started happening after purchasing a new monitor (ASUS VG278QR). This is only happening on my ASUS monitor, and not the BenQ that I also have connected to the same computer. The system I am using is pretty powerful, and I never had any issues with alt tabbing out or back into a fullscreen game prior to purchasing the new monitor.. Usually I can tab out and back in instantly, but since I bought this new monitor I've noticed that when I alt tab, the screen seems to lose connection, or power or something temporarily, because the screen goes completely black for a few seconds before coming back on.

The obvious and easy fix is to switch the game from fullscreen to windowed, but that's not really what I want to do.. I want to actually fix this black screening issue.. anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this issue? or how to fix it?

Steps so far taken:
-Made sure GPU drivers are updated
-Made sure Windows is updated
-Disabled GSync
-Tested fullscreen games on my 2nd (BenQ) display, and had no issues
-Disabled Fullscreen Optimization in file with no positive results
-Made sure that power cord and display port cables were secure
-Checked power settings

FIXED: So I went into NVIDIA Control Panel and lowered the Hz from 165 to 144, to match my 2nd display (BenQ), and it seems that the black screening issue is gone now. The computer and monitor acts normal and alt tabs out of a fullscreened game instantly like it did prior to getting the new monitor. I'm rather confused as to why 165hz would cause that issue, as the 2nd monitor that was connected to my computer along with my BenQ prior to buying this ASUS had a max Hz of 60 and I never ran into this issue..

Last edited:
Solution
Its hard for me to see this as a hardware issue, a lot of games especially older ones dont really have alt tab support and I'd look up the specific games causing you trouble.

But I know you stated it didnt do it before so you could look at the new monitors power optimization settings. Theres a chance it could be shutting off to save power when it "looses" a video signal while alt tabbing. Doubt thats the solution but its worth a shot
Yeah I can definitely say it's not the game, because I played the same game (Red Dead Redemption 2) on both monitors and the only one that had problems with alt tabbing was the new ASUS.

But I did double check my PC power settings to make sure something didn't change on me, as well as I looked at...

GUCCI oPtimus

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Its hard for me to see this as a hardware issue, a lot of games especially older ones dont really have alt tab support and I'd look up the specific games causing you trouble.

But I know you stated it didnt do it before so you could look at the new monitors power optimization settings. Theres a chance it could be shutting off to save power when it "looses" a video signal while alt tabbing. Doubt thats the solution but its worth a shot

Nov 13, 2019

Yeah I can definitely say it's not the game, because I played the same game (Red Dead Redemption 2) on both monitors and the only one that had problems with alt tabbing was the new ASUS.

But I did double check my PC power settings to make sure something didn't change on me, as well as I looked at the monitor settings, but there's no 'power saving' type of setting enabled.

Something I also noticed; when having the ASUS monitor as my main display, the computer acts weird and actually kind of freezes up whenever alt tabbing out of the game.. not sure why that would be happening.. I made my old BenQ display my main monitor and the ASUS the secondary for a bit and tried the alt tabbing test, and I literally don't have one issue with the display blacking out, or my computer "locking" up.

UPDATE: I managed to fix the issue with my computer freezing up when alt tabbing on the ASUS, thinking it was due to gsync.. not sure honestly. But the black screening still continues.

What I did was, went into NVIDIA Control Panel, and disabled gsync and also went ahead and just disabled vsync globally. Not sure which of the two it was.. assuming it's the gsync setting tho, because my BenQ didn't have gsync.

Last edited:
Solution