Black screens due to GPU or something else?

Jul 26, 2018
Over the past 2 weeks, my build has been randomly black screening. For a few months, it was completely solid until I got back from a vacation and a week later it's doing this. I traced the problem in windows event viewer and found multiple errors, there is a critical error(kernel power event ID 41), the regular errors are Distributed com ID 10016, and Kernel event tracing ID 2.

It started out that the computer would just power off and reboot itself, but then it would power off and stay that way with fans spinning until I powered off the power supply. Then it changed and started freezing the display for a solid 30 seconds and THEN it would black screen.

I ended up getting a new power supply(did nothing), reinstalling windows using fresh start(did nothing), reinstalling windows again(the hard way- did nothing), scanned HDD, SSD, and ram(no problems identified)...

Finally, one day I powered on and, no video output(2 monitors one HDMI, main one DisplayPort), fans spin and it powers on( It started normally as I was able to sign in and perform web searches by muscle memory, and checking account search history on my phone, just no video output). Turns out the HDMI port on my GPU was the only port sending video signal, so I unplugged my main monitor and then windows started and said it was repairing my boot drive, it then promptly failed repairs and continued to boot normally. I decided to switch which port my GPU was plugged into and boom, suddenly I could use the display port and HDMI outputs on the GPU(does this make any sense? still getting black screens though). Finally, I send my motherboard in for RMA and Asus just sent it back saying they "weren't able to reproduce symptoms". I just reinstalled the mobo and its still black screening. What could cause this???

Thanks for any help in advance! (My first time on this forum, so let me know if I'm doing something wrong)

System specs are:

ryzen 5 1500x

asus rog Strix b350-f

evga 550w 80+gold PSU

16gb team group ddr4 memory

128gb Kingston SSD(boot drive)

2tb barracuda HDD

xfx rx480 4gb RS