Question Black screens --- Faulty RTX 3080 TI ?

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Hi,

I keep getting random black screens after installing a new RTX 3080 TI card. It happens with general desktop browsing and rarely if ever in games. I never had this problem on my old GTX 1060.
Sometimes I won't get a black screen for a week, then I'll get 3-4 in quick succession. Nothing has changed on the computer and usually there's nothing running at all when it happens.

This was happening with a Corsair RMX650 PSU so I bought a new PSU thinking it would fix the problem which unfortunately hasn't helped.

Specs:
RTX 3080 TI Gigabyte OC
i7-8700k
Asrock Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair 32GB RAM (2x16) 3200Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX1000

GPU is connected to PSU via separate PCI cables

The error codes in Windows also seem to vary:

Reliability:
Hardware Error: LiveKernelEvent
Codes: 141 or 193
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly

Event viewer:
Lots of dwm.exe and KERNELBASE.dll critical messages / crashes

Does anyone know if this is just a faulty card? I can't think of anything else at this point but it's so strange.

BluescreenView:

Steps taken:
  • Clean uninstall / reinstall using DDU (2-3 times now in safe mode)
  • Reconnected all cables inside case
  • Undervolted card
  • Tightened GFX card to make sure there wasn't sag etc
  • Tried HDMI instead of DP, tried different cables
  • Bought a new PSU
  • Re-seated RAM
  • Bios already latest version, not sure about chipset drivers however (just got from mobo side, dated 2019)
Any help appreciated!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The best way you can state that you're on the latest BIOS version is by stating the version of the BIOS. A lot of people come around here stating latest BIOS only to find out that there was another BIOS version pending update.

What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. Which slots are the rams occupying on the motherboard? How did you reinstall your GPU drivers, using Windows update or a third party app?

Reactions: rubbed

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
The best way you can state that you're on the latest BIOS version is by stating the version of the BIOS. A lot of people come around here stating latest BIOS only to find out that there was another BIOS version pending update.

What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. Which slots are the rams occupying on the motherboard? How did you reinstall your GPU drivers, using Windows update or a third party app?

Hi, good points noted for future reference :)

Motherboard ASRock Page
Bios: 4.20 - however I notice there's a beta 4.21B out but not sure if it added anything relevant?
Windows 10 Version 21H2 (Build 19044.1706)
RAM: Slots A2+B2 (extreme profile 1 running at 3200hz)

I reinstalled GPU drivers using DDU and downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia website. I did a clean install via safemode.

Black Screens and Room Temperature OR Logitech Wireless Mouse?
The black screens were out of control yesterday. I updated some intel drivers via windows update and also downloaded the chipset drivers from intel website but it hasn't seemed to help (possibly made it worse).

Heat
The only real difference yesterday was the heat. It was a very warm day here, but my GPU/CPU temps were roughly around the same as they always are (CPU 35c idle, GPU 36c idle).

Wireless Mouse
Something else I figured out is that the black screens don't seem to happen upon reboot if I turn my logitech G pro wireless mouse off. Any time it was on I would get a black screen 10-15 secs after rebooting 3-4x in a row. I completely reinstalled the logitech G hub mouse software but it didn't seem to make a difference regarding black screens.

Different PC
This card was also causing black screens on a completely different PC (AMD Build) - which means it's probably the card that is faulty?
A RTX 3090 TI was used on that same PC and there has been no black screens at all.

Thanks!

DRagor

Illustrious
This card was also causing black screens on a completely different PC (AMD Build) - which means it's probably the card that is faulty? A RTX 3090 TI was used on that same PC and there has been no black screens at all.
This is most likely correct suspicion. If the problem follows the GPU then its GPU fault. Other factors you mentioned (like wireless mouse) may change the frequency of it happening, but unless the other PC also has the same wireless mouse there is no reason to believe the mouse is the root of the problem.

Reactions: rubbed

rubbed

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
This is most likely correct suspicion. If the problem follows the GPU then its GPU fault. Other factors you mentioned (like wireless mouse) may change the frequency of it happening, but unless the other PC also has the same wireless mouse there is no reason to believe the mouse is the root of the problem.
Ha yeah interestingly the other PC used the same model wireless mouse, Logitech G Pro wireless (not the exact same mouse, two different ones).

It happened for me on the same mouse, and now on the newer Logitech G Pro Superlight which I bought a few weeks ago.

However I am back on my GTX 1060 as the RTX card got approved for RMA now. No issues at all so far on my old card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY