Question Black Screens, Freezing with and without sound.

Feb 22, 2020
(Sorry for the bad english, it isn't my first language)

Specs:

Ryzen 7 2700x
AB350M Pro4 Motherboard
2x8 Corsair Vengenace RGB Pro RAM 3000mHz CL15
Asus Strix GTX 1660 Super
128GB Adata SU650 SSD
1TB WD Blue HDD
Cooler Master Masterwatt 650w TUF Gaming Edition PSU

I've been having random reboots, blackscreens or even freezes when I'm gaming, or even in synthetic loads like Aida64 (but very rarely). When this happens, there is a chance that one of the RGB RAM Modules LED powers off, but still, the 16gb of Ram are detected, even when the RGB Lights are off. Weirdly enough, i dont get these problems often when i remove the side panel of the case. If the System has been in a heavy load, even with the side panel off it gives me these problems.

For example, this morning i did an Aida64 Stress Test for the Memory, CPU and GPU, it lasted for an hour and I stopped it. But yesterday I stress tested it and it couldn't go far as 15 minutes.

Before all the specs above, I had a EVGA 500w PSU 80+ White and an ASUS Phoenix GTX 1660 Super (which overheated as hell).
This started happening when I installed the Ryzen 7, which before that I had a Ryzen 5 1400. (Yeah, I have the latest BIOS, which in this case is the P5.90 from ASRock for Zen+ and Zen 2)

What i've tried:
  • Changing the PSU
  • Changing GPU
  • Changing Case
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • Tweaking voltages, from undervolting CPU to adding a little more (1.35v for example, from stock 1.2v)
  • Disabling Core Performance Boost
  • Disabled and Enabled XMP for both my Aida64 Runs
Do I need to change the motherboard? Do I need a B450 MB?

Last edited:
Well I would start checking if VRM's are cooled. it seems like something is loose and as you randomly move it while doing other things, you get random results. 350 mobo will do just as good as 450.
its something with loosy cable or radiator.....

Feb 22, 2020
Well I would start checking if VRM's are cooled. it seems like something is loose and as you randomly move it while doing other things, you get random results. 350 mobo will do just as good as 450.
its something with loosy cable or radiator.....

Maybe it is, in the process of changing the CPU I knocked one of the resistors, but it stayed still on the MB and it's firm

Reactions: Rdslw
Maybe it is, in the process of changing the CPU I knocked one of the resistors, but it stayed still on the MB and it's firm
in my experiance such thing causes permanent bricking of mobo. As close as I could imagine such thing is that one line on VRM shuts down/is unstable or something like that.
What you say means there is no hope, so please start with removal of the mobo coolers and adding new fresh paste.

It was very obvious that A1 and A2 slots were bad.
As I see some threads that those mobos have issues with ram slots, please put yours into second part and try again.

Feb 22, 2020
UPDATE: Installed a Ryzen 7 2700 (non X) and no reboots so far, can game comfortably for more than 15 minutes. Will change CPU in a week so I can see if it is the CPU the real culprit

Mar 8, 2020
UPDATE: Installed a Ryzen 7 2700 (non X) and no reboots so far, can game comfortably for more than 15 minutes. Will change CPU in a week so I can see if it is the CPU the real culprit

Did you change CPU back? I have the same problem with the Ryzen 5 2600x and the MSI B450 and no spare CPU to check.

Last edited: