Black square artifacts Gigabyte HD 6870

dkametler

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hello,

This is my first time creating a thread.

So black square artifacts (many 5x5mm black squares, if i try to click on them they disappear) appear on my screen while browsing the web or watching a video f.e. on youtube after about 10 secs. While gaming or watching a movie (i use VLC) it only happens if the squares have already appered before.

Also if i watch a video for a long time on the internet usually the screen freezes and goes black for couple seconds and a box pops up from Catalyst saying: "Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered".

Rarely i get the BSOD with problem regarding Video scheduler, i don't remember exactly....

My specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte z68ap-d3
CPU: i5 2400 3.10 GHZ
GPU: Gigabyte HD6870 1GB (GV-R687OC-1GD)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA3
RAM: DDR3 6 GB 1333 MHZ
PSU: Gigabyte GE-R460-V1 (460W) -> Corsair TX750 v2

After reading through threads like this in the past, i thought maybe my PSU was weak so i got a Corsair tx750, but it didn't solve this problem.

Tried re-installing Windows 7 and the drivers too but that didn't help either.

I ordered my graphic card from a website and i sent it back to them to get a new one, but they tested it and they said it worked perfectly so i couldn't get a new card. While the HD6870 was being tested for a week, i had to use my old graphic card (Geforce 9600 GT) and then i haven't encountered the black square artifact problem...

Please try to help me, i don't know what to try next...

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Your graphic card is too hot for sure. Download Speed fan and look at the idle temps. Then, download FurMark and run it for 5 mins and give me the load temps.

- The Brownie

dkametler

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hello Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, i've been really busy this 2 months and to be honest i forgot about creating this thread, but i'm really happy that some people are trying to help!

So i checked the temps in Speed fan and Furmark too.
The idle themperature was around 37-39 °C.
The temps in Furmark during the test were: min. 49 °C, Max. 73 °C. (5 min test, as it was advised above)

Is it strange that about 10 seconds before i started the test both programs showed that the temp was 39°C and when the test started the temp was 49°C?

I'm not sure if Furmark makes logs about the tests, i tried to find them but i couldn't...

The black squares didn't appear during the test.

I checked the temps while watching a video on youtube, after about 15 seconds the black squares appeared, the temp was 41°C.

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Temps jump (don't know how to call them) are very normal and you don't have to worry about that. If there was no artifacts while doing the stress testing, the card is okay.

We got two options here :

1- Your motherboard and/or another component isn't fully compatible with your graphics card
or
2- Your web browser is weird and it doesn't like your graphics card

What web browser are you using ? Did you try any other web browser ? Do you encounter the same problem ?

If you didn't already, try another web browser and see if it still persists. If it does, you'll have to get another card. Ask for RMA directly on the company website (Sapphire, Asus, etc.) if the website where you bought the card donMt want to give you another one.

- The Brownie

dkametler

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
I use Mozilla Firefox.

I've already tried using different web browsers in the past. (Opera, Mozilla, Chrome)

But I tried it again last night due to your advice, deleted Mozilla and Adobe Flash Player 11, installed Chrome.
I watched a couple of youtube videos to test it and the artifacts DIDN'T appear!! (30-35 minutes)
So far, it works fine.

What i didn't do in the past is experimenting with the flash player, is it possible that the flash player 11 is not compatible with my card?

Bromeh

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Yes, that's a very good possibility. Flash player is getting worse than before as it grows up. Updates makes it crash much more than before and they say that "it's better" ... Yeah sure. If everything works well with chrome, stick with it but i know Opera don't use flash player because they use their own player (unless you put it in fullscreen). Anyway, if you have a problem, the community is here :)

- The Brownie