Question Black Void bug in RDR2 - is it GPU or game related??

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
EDIT: Switching from Vulkan to DX12 has eliminated the issue but I am still wanting to understand why or at least if this is a software specific error in order to rule out it being my GPU.

Video linked below text
I recently built a new system and got an OLED screen and have naturally been testing tons of games on all the new hardware. I have seen this bizarre black void takeover only a couple times. Here in RDR2 and once in Hogwarts Legacy. It appears as a black box and slowly envelopes everything but minds the geometry of assets to a degree. In Hogwarts Legacy it appeared behind Hogwarts castle and rapidly grew and filled the whole sky but didn’t enter the foreground.

Here in RDR2 it takes over almost everything and is now a persistent bug. It wasn't happening in online modes initial cut scene. If I load any single player save it happens within 10 seconds, without fail, usually spurred by moving the character or view point.

Notice it does not envelope the HUD or if I pause the menu comes up fine and I can alt tab out to a normal screen. If I pan the screen fast like in the second video it "gets ahead" of the cloud slightly. If it was the GPU wouldn't it happen in most or more games? And affect the UI? Out of about 20 games I have tested for hours these are the only 2 I have seen this in and RDR2 is the only one it is consistent in, or that I have seen it even more than once.

This is an uncommon bug but I find other accounts of it in RDR2 and other games without solutions. Most say it only happened once then went away as it did for me in Hogwarts Legacy.

I have tried:
-Reinstalling game
-Updating GPU drivers
-disabling GPU hardware acceleration in Win11
-changing in game graphics settings to lowest (hoping to disable volumetric fog and clouds as some suggest this may be an issue with them)

Video 1 :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJiqQBKFkOA

Video 2 :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjajZ5-axVw

System is:

Win11
4080FE
MSI Z790 DDR4
32Gb 3600 cl16 ripjaws ddr4
Many samsung 970evo and 860evo drives
Corsair RM850x

LG C2 48”
Samsung qled Q60 55”
Acer 27" nitro gaming monitor

Please just tell me its not the GPU....

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Updating GPU drivers
I'm assuming you used DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform and then reinstalled the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

EDIT: Switching from Vulkan to DX12 has eliminated the issue but I am still wanting to understand why or at least if this is a software specific error in order to rule out it being my GPU.
It could very well be the game's engine and the way the drivers are handling the data/game.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Updating GPU drivers
I'm assuming you used DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform and then reinstalled the latest GPU drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

It could very well be the game's engine and the way the drivers are handling the data/game.
- Yes to the DDU update

- I want to believe its just the game and Vulkan but I wonder why there aren't many more reports for this issue then. I tried loading it up on my girlfriends 4070 machine with a driver that is not the newest, but newer than the one I just upgraded from and the game had zero issues on Vulkan.

I am wondering if there is a Win11 conflict too because this is the only machine running it and the only system I have ever had the issue on. .

Jun 29, 2023
- Yes to the DDU update

- I want to believe its just the game and Vulkan but I wonder why there aren't many more reports for this issue then. I tried loading it up on my girlfriends 4070 machine with a driver that is not the newest, but newer than the one I just upgraded from and the game had zero issues on Vulkan.

I am wondering if there is a Win11 conflict too because this is the only machine running it and the only system I have ever had the issue on. .
I can confirm that this is an issue with Vulkan and the volumetrics system, if the error persists, try changing some of the in game volumetric settings. I was having this issue on my RTX 2070 Super and also did a clean driver update but only changing volumetric settings in game fixed this issue for me.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I can confirm that this is an issue with Vulkan and the volumetrics system, if the error persists, try changing some of the in game volumetric settings. I was having this issue on my RTX 2070 Super and also did a clean driver update but only changing volumetric settings in game fixed this issue for me.
I was successful in eliminating the issue by switching VUlkan to off. However I saw other bugs while using RT and the card was indeed defective. I exchanged it and the new one shows none of the issues the past one had.