BlackBerry’s Back: The Android-Powered Priv, First Hands-On Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredSysAdmin

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
The Passport’s 13MP camera was the first that BlackBerry seemed to pay a bit more attention to, having OIS (optical image stabilization) and an f/2.0 lens, and the Priv’s is even better (on paper). It’s certified by Schneider-Kreuznach and has OIS, PDAF (phase detect autofocus), a 6-element f/2.2 lens.....":

f/2.2 lens is not better than f/2.0 - it's quite the opposite.
Lower f-stop number = wider open aperture = more light comes in = Low light ISO could be decreased = The captured photo is less likely to have noise coming from high iso due to sensor limitations.

LG G4 with similar (if not same sensor) but with f-stop of 1.8 can do much better low light images than f2.2

alex davies

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
The Passport’s 13MP camera was the first that BlackBerry seemed to pay a bit more attention to, having OIS (optical image stabilization) and an f/2.0 lens, and the Priv’s is even better (on paper). It’s certified by Schneider-Kreuznach and has OIS, PDAF (phase detect autofocus), a 6-element f/2.2 lens.....":

f/2.2 lens is not better than f/2.0 - it's quite the opposite.
Lower f-stop number = wider open aperture = more light comes in = Low light ISO could be decreased = The captured photo is less likely to have noise coming from high iso due to sensor limitations.

LG G4 with similar (if not same sensor) but with f-stop of 1.8 can do much better low light images than f2.2

Yes, you are correct in saying that the aperture on the Passport's camera is better than the Priv's, so we'll add a clarification to that section.

However, due to the Priv's better image sensor we still expect its camera performance in all lighting conditions to be superior to the Passport's.

OMGitsHUGE

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Great review, look forward to a follow up to test everything else. I do believe this is a great device, it might not save Blackberry, but who cares. I know I will be getting one. It might start a trend though with other manufacturers to add a physical keyboard. Look what happened back in 2011 when Samsung introduced the Phablet...

michaelhi

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Re: fingerprint reader--this biometric detracts from security not adds, unless done in a way currently too advanced for this type of device.

qisoed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
Nice review, and over all the priv could be the real new beginning of blackberry. They need to launch several device with different class price to be able make gain in android market battle since there are many players from big to small and from old to new one. And all claim they are the best.

What i like is the security from blackberry, i used to use several blackberry device before swithing to android and know how your data can be safe in your hand, because for now I'm using chinese based android phone, some times i think they are already collecting all my username and password, Lol yea probably. I hope priv really make it in that area. I just hope it will launch in my country or nearby country so i can get 1.

Orumus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Re: fingerprint reader--this biometric detracts from security not adds, unless done in a way currently too advanced for this type of device.

Yeah fingerprint scanners in mainstream devices is currently a joke. They add a false sense of security because of this "feature" to sell more units. Not to mention the potential security threat of companies and hackers gaining access to your bio metrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.