BlackBerry 10's New Features Shown Off; Jury Still Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Bring this thing out and do a major PR for it. The marketing branch better do their best and I might swtich to this phone. It's either this, SGSII or Lumia 920. Apple just screwed with me with the maps and rogue apps about lock screen that resemble Android grid system that turn out to be fake and wasting people's money (never bought one of those but it pisses me off how so many of those pass their so called reviews). Anyways, do us Canadians a favour and unleash this thing asap, we can't afford to lose another Canadian company.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I don't make a habit of complaining about grammar on the internet, but what the hell? Was this article run through a late 90's version of babelfish before it was posted? When there are so many errors that the article is difficult to read and understand, it's clear that no one on this site gives a crap about the quality of writing here. Why is it so difficult for this site to publish articles that don't look like they were written by C student in the 5th grade? Does anyone here ever proofread their work before publishing it? The other major sites don't seem to have this problem.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Nice opinion piece. But it's just that, nothing more.
I think there is a fair bit of pent up demand in the business world for BB10 and companies will be upgrading in droves to the new platform when it comes out.

RIM should have no problem wiping the floor with Microsoft to become the third largest platform. If that even matters.

You don't have to be #1 to carve out a sustainable niche and put food on the table.

IB

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I guess some people might buy these..... Makes more sense for business than an Android device, due to security concerns. But with MS 8 coming out on phones, I feel like it has a hard road to hoe (with MS8 and iOS of course).

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I have BB btw and I hate it, never met any folks I work with who have anything good to say about BB's. BYOD is next upgrade for company I'm with. The company is dumping BB before they go down. Vmware and Goodsoftware create a virtual phone environment similar to the profiles mentioned in the article. I appreciated the article Wolfgang as this affects alot of us folks who work in I.T everyday!

A week ago my work Blackberry Curve was repossessed by the IT department and I was given a new Gallaxy II Android phone ... they changed over 100 corporate phones.

I loved my BB curve - e-mail, messages, phone ... though the internet access on it was poor to say the least.

It did the big three well though ... and that's something I need as a priority.

The Galaxy is all bling ... but I have lost my contact list twice when Outlook doesn't update.

I get updates and messages about updates and downloads all of the time ... which is fracking annoying to say the least.

When VLing decided to install itself ... without my consent ... it nailed my contact list.

The battery doesn't last all day if the screen brightness is turned up ... which you need when the sun is shining brightly ... or your getting old like I am.

Power saving features cause the phone to switch off unless your using the touch screen ... annoying to type 1234 in everytime you want to finish something.

Don't start on my password either ... I use it for everything from the my pin for the corporate American Express card I have to the suitcase I carry to fire nuclear missiles at Iran ... and my safe with the stolen Chinese missile codes and Cuban Cigars.

The phone is too big ... who cares about all of the extras I don't use??

I feel ripped off and I want my Curve back.

Gues what ... we disconnected from the BB Enterprise server service so I can't ...

Sincerely,

Old guy.

P.S. The HTC Desire is still a better phone.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]A week ago my work Blackberry Curve was repossessed by the IT department and I was given a new Gallaxy II Android phone ... they changed over 100 corporate phones.I loved my BB curve - e-mail, messages, phone ... though the internet access on it was poor to say the least.It did the big three well though ... and that's something I need as a priority.The Galaxy is all bling ... but I have lost my contact list twice when Outlook doesn't update.I get updates and messages about updates and downloads all of the time ... which is fracking annoying to say the least.When VLing decided to install itself ... without my consent ... it nailed my contact list.The battery doesn't last all day if the screen brightness is turned up ... which you need when the sun is shining brightly ... or your getting old like I am.Power saving features cause the phone to switch off unless your using the touch screen ... annoying to type 1234 in everytime you want to finish something. Don't start on my password either ... I use it for everything from the my pin for the corporate American Express card I have to the suitcase I carry to fire nuclear missiles at Iran ... and my safe with the stolen Chinese missile codes and Cuban Cigars.The phone is too big ... who cares about all of the extras I don't use??I feel ripped off and I want my Curve back.Gues what ... we disconnected from the BB Enterprise server service so I can't ...Sincerely,Old guy.P.S. The HTC Desire is still a better phone.[/citation]

You IT dept should have gotten you the SGS3

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I really enjoy the integrated business features and keyboard on my Blackberry; I mainly use my phone for email, calendar, and messages. I like being able to quickly send out a professional looking email that doesn't look like it was written by a teenage girl. But, it does lack other features.
Looking at Lumia 920 as my next phone. Don't know if I'll wait around to see if BB10 is going to do well.
Even if it is better than iOS (which isn't that difficult) and better than android, it still might be enough to make it successful.
Gonna miss my keyboard.

Lunatic Magnet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
RIM's biggest issue, and always has been, is that their OSes are locked to hardware. BB10 will require a new device and likely the next version after that will also. My 1.5 year old Torch (work phone no choice) is at the end of the road OS wise.

Until they can get their new OSes out with their competition, or even ahead of them, and they stop locking OSes to hardware they will continue to fall behind and eventually into obscurity.

G

LOL ! Bunz of steel 's comment on Windows 8 crap on mobile phones. They cant even stay steady on PC's yet !
Please read reviews on Windows 8 and then come up with comments. " Microsoft needs to be reborn to hold a share on the smart phone market "

Status
Not open for further replies.