BlackBerry Continues to Look For a Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
Not that I have ever wanted a blackberry phone, it will be sad to see competition leave the market should they fail to find a buyer and have to close doors.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

That's ... kind of their problem. BB is not "competition" in the market. At least not anymore. Having been through several BBs on the job, and had my hands on droids and iphones, BB had their one-trick-pony with BES... And then they sat on it...

actsai

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Ditto, "competitor" within the market implies they held up some kind of de-facto standard that validates the existence of that party, all their efforts do not address those membership requirements, or lack there of. A tablet came out with no software to go with it, a phone that is a catch-up with more-than-deserved marketing, a 180 on end-of-life support, nothing was done right.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
This article is clueless, bb10 OS are the bb10 phones are awesome. Furthermore, blackberry already has a buyer in Fairchild. The board is doing their due diligence in seeking a better price as was allowed with their terms with Fairchild.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Most people on this site haven't used a BB10 phone. The OS is way better then the iOS and android. The reason BB10 OS is a problem is that they don't have close to as many of apps as the competition.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Ok, will help Blackberry come back . If anyone from blackberry is watching. Do this , you guys need to move to parallel computing.

If you do that, you will win. Why? you can speed up the blackberry faster then the other guys. Parallel computing is your saviour Black berry. Do it. Just do it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Duckhunt, if a better performing handset was a silver bullet then the Nokia 1020 would be the highest seller phone in the world - it takes a little bit more than technical excellence

Arls

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Have BlackBerry had consecutive billion $ losses? I'm pretty sure it was only one quarter because of the poorly selling z10. They still generate hundreds of millions in revenue. Just because a phone doesn't sell in the US doesn't mean they don't sell elsewhere.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I'm curious, your post seems to imply that Google having the patents would be better than MS or Apple having them. If that is indeed what you are implying, could you explain why you believe that is?

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Well, they still have those z10's in stock and they can sell them at cost and get the money back. So its not a loss, unless they destroy the z10's,

they could always give them away for marketing purposes and then people will pay $fees for blackberry services and apps etc, so blackberry will recoup their losses + gain customers + better image + word of mouth.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012

Yes, they do have a buyer. They're just looking for a better offer.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

Well, for once, Google did not try to enforce '1 search bar with 2 buttons' it patented a while ago. Unlike a certain slide to unlock, or square with rounded corners. There should be a list of things Linux cannot use, even interface-wise, button arrangements, because patented by Microsoft.

So, yeah, between Google using the patents defensively, and Apple or MS using them to prevent competition thriving, I will cheer for Google.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Oh yes, Google is just wonderfully fair and impressive and just a dandy company with patents, so much better than the other big tech companies. I mean, they said things like this:

"It’s time to take action against patent trolls and patent privateering.”

http://www.webpronews.com/google-declares-time-to-take-action-against-patent-trolls-2013-04

What a bunch of great guys and gals! But wait, oh, what's this?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/06/apple-google-motorola-patent-troll/

It seems that just a few months after Google makes these lofty claims about patent trolling Google becomes the first ever major convicted patent troll. Yes, that's right... Not Apple, not Microsoft, Google is the first ever major corporate convicted patent troll.

I get that you may not have heard about it, since it gets almost no media attention - honestly, when Google is performing hostile takeovers, treating privacy like it was toilet paper, and patent trolling, who ever hears about it? It's a credit to Google's *excellent* PR that they do the same crap as other companies but manage to convince gullible consumers that they are somehow the good guy, above such low methods as patent trolling. Sadly, it's not true.

This is a bit like the case of everyone ragging on Apple for using cheap Chinese sweatshop labour acting all morally outraged about it... When the company they support makes their products in the Chinese sweatshop labour factory next door to Apple's.

I don't have a problem with Google getting RIM's patents. I do have a slight problem with people believing they'll somehow handle them better. Every major tech company owns hundreds, probably thousands of patents which go unenforced as they are infringed on a daily basis, and it's usually a business decision to not pursue patent infringement. When it makes sense from a business standpoint to stick it to a competitor, and they will or they won't depending on whether they think they'll win or whether it's worth the money to litigate. Google is evidently willing to play the patent game, whether you are aware of it or not.

Also, another tidbit...

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-apple-spend-patents-120824/

Headline - "Google and Apple spend more on patents than on R&D." What a wonderful example set by the two most valuable tech companies on the planet.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

Well, you are right.
I did not know about that case. And I did not do my research.
I have always been for a global reform of patent systems. The patent system as it is may have worked fine for a different time, but in the corporate world of today it is not. No invention is able to stand on it's own. And the current patent system is stiffing innovation.
I do not know what the best solution may be. But I know that the current patent system is not working. And I gullibly thought Google patents was the next best thing to the system not reforming. I retreat what I said and I will continue to push for a real change.
I hope other people change their minds. It is this that makes us humans with intellect. The ability to change our minds when presented with evidence.
Thank you! I mean it!

Status
Not open for further replies.