BlackBerry May be Working on Octa-Core 64-bit Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
If they were to sell those phones TODAY, then BB could be back in the game and be the nr 1 contender, but since they are earliest coming out next year it might be the Z10 all over again, with a phone that would have been great 12-18 months before the launch date, but because of the 12-18months have passed it hardly makes a blip on the radar.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
BBRY is a long decaying and dying company. They should have just focused on services to other companies and enterprise. Even if this was released tomorrow it would get zero traction and BBRY would lose billion(s).Their eco-system is dead, their retail consumer base is far gone. It's a bunch of old people using out-dated hardware, that still won't trade their old blackberry even for a newer model because it works "just fine".

andystanley

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
If they were to sell those phones TODAY, then BB could be back in the game and be the nr 1 contender, but since they are earliest coming out next year it might be the Z10 all over again, with a phone that would have been great 12-18 months before the launch date, but because of the 12-18months have passed it hardly makes a blip on the radar.
I don't think those specs are going to help them sell cell phones. Blackberry are out of the game unless they get rid of that operating system. We've got alot of operating systems out there and we don't need another one.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
It would be hard on my ego if there was a cellphone with a faster CPU than my computer
Try running a Pentium-MMX at 200Mhz... then it's hard on the ego to realize that the average toaster oven has more processing power than your desktop computer.In all seriousness, they need to work on this NOW if they want to actually have a worthwhile release, rather than the typical faffing around for two years doing nothing and making vague statements about what's under construction. Either get the cutting-edge tech out while it's still cutting-edge, or get rid of it NOW and move on before you release a product two years late into a market that's already passed it.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Cue the, "But can it run Crysis" replies on octa-core phone-related articles. I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later, a phone being powerful enough to run some of today's GPU-hungriest games.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
On phones the whole core thing is just a marketing hype and if you can't get your app (on a phone) to run in 32bit you shouldn't be a developer. the only difference in speed is how much / what registers are access per clock cycle. That's it.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Sorry to disappoint the internet basement crowd, but the majority of the consumer and business markets do not care about phone specs.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I would not be happy nor will I convert unless the BB device runs Android; either dual boot or ditch BB 10 is acceptable. With ditching of BB 10 prefered.
With their latest software release you can load and run 95% of android .apk on your BB phone anyways. You could make it look just like android if you wanted to. Not to mention their BB 10 is more secure with the granular permissions controls, available encryption standards, and separate business profiles.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I honestly believe the world would be a better place if more people were willing to be like that and put their resources into things that mattered more than "ZOMG A NEW PHONE IS OUT THAT IS SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN MY OLD ONE QUICK MUST GO GET IT NOW!!!" We're hitting the point where having the latest and greatest phone is becoming a veritable addiction for a lot of people.

That being said, I don't see Blackberry coming through this whole process doing that well, and this is too little, too late.

Kruelness

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I have a Z10 and it works wonderful, I have been enjoying a continuous stream of updates to improve the ecosystem in BB10. If you haven't tried it yet then you really have no room to diss it. I'm also enjoying being able to use android apps, plus browsing the Internet is lightning fast through the BlackBerry browser and uses less data than other formats offered by apple or android. I have never had a BlackBerry phone till now and it has exceptional integration into everything I need a smart phone for. Bring on a BlackBerry super phone, I will buy it. They have proven a massive level of commitment to its customers and what they want, unlike another fruit brand that gives you a device... want an update? Sorry, you will have to buy the s model or get the new phone next year. Typed with speed and ease on my BlackBerry 10 phone. Screw the haters.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Kruelness, actually, one of my close friends held out for over a year past when he wanted to update his phone so he could get a Z-whatever-one-has-they-keyboard and I've fiddled with it a bit. Awesome phone. A pity what's happening to the release of a good product with a reasonably established ecosystem - but, them's the breaks.

Kruelness

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Well not all great things are taken well by the public, stigma is a real killer. Just because BlackBerry is going through rough waters doesn't mean they have nothing to offer. If only other people were like stevejnb and gave something a try before blindly following the media and neh sayers. I stay very up to date with crackberry.com and BlackBerry has lots to offer and even better things to come. It's not over till its over. BB10 is better than ios... it is practical and fast, well supported and now no app disparity.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Kruel, I personally am a Windows phone user so, though I thought the new Blackberry was a very solid phone, it's not what I personally use. What's more, I'm not going to lie - I likely wouldn't get one in large part because I don't expect it to have continued in support largely because people aren't jumping on the product. It is a chicken and egg problem, but, it's still a reality - I don't know if I can trust Blackberry to continue consistent support a few years down the road. For someone who plans to hang on to his phone between 3 and 5 years, that's somewhat important. To boot, I'm also very invested in Microsoft services, so a phone that gels with them makes sense for me.

That being said, I still maintain, it's a pity. If not for my ties to MS services, and my concerns about continued support, I actually would have gone for a Blackberry ahead of anything else on the market in the last year. It really is a slick ecosystem, and their hardware is good in many of the intangibles other phones lack. Even got to play with an older Blackberry Playbook a little while ago and, honestly, it blew my Android tablet from the same period out of the water in everything but software support. Granted that's a big deal, but, take it for what it's worth.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Oh please, BB has nothing to offer. Crackberry.com is full of people who all thought the Playbook was going to be the iPad killer and they raved about sales figures every week.Blackberry is a sinking ship. Don't get on. They can't even maintain a grip on the business enterprise market anymore.

cyb34

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Yea yea, make an octocore that looks like shit again.I'm not an Apple fanboy, but the only phone that came close to that build quality is the HTC One. The rest feel like cheap GPS systems for cars. I'm looking at you, Galaxy S4 and the gang.My argument is not subjective, plastic is a cheap to produce material with a cheap feeling to it. Especially the glossy, flexible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.