Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
Hey everyone!

After a recent Windows 10 update, which was done only 2 days ago, my PC goes into a blackscreen whenever I boot it up. Only after a few reboots (by holding the power button) my PC manages to boot up properly.

Now here are a few things I have noticed which might be of help:
  1. When booting up the PC, my gears lights are turned on normally. After a few seconds, my monitor goes pitch black and the lights of my keyboard & mouse turn off aswell.
  2. After managing to fix it (temporarily), my monitor with no audio feature is set as standard device (even though I have my headset set as standard)
If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Seems like doing a BIOS reset via taking out the BIOS-battery and putting it back in has fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
what are specs of the PC?

can you go into windows update history and tell me what last update you got was?

wonder if PC is going to sleep or actually turning off.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
16,0 GB
64-Bit, Windows 10 Pro
GTX 2060

last update was a feature update, Windows 10, Version 22H2

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
you can uninstall it and roll back to previous version of win 10

go to settings/update and security/recovery
there should be an option there to roll back to previous version - it might be titled go back.

see if that helps

sorry I was slow to reply

Thanks for the reply, I have done that and it worked for a while but I'm having the same issue now.

I suspect that my PC automatically goes into sleep mode.

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the logon screen, click the power button in bottom right
while holding shift, click restart button
this loads windows into a blue menu

lets see if you black screen in safe mode'
  1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
  3. choose startup settings
  4. click the restart button
  5. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  6. Pc will restart and load safe mode

I am thinking its possibly your display drivers.

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017

1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
  5. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
did not happen in safe mode (or I was lucky this time)

I have reinstalled my graphic drivers using DDU and I'm not sure if it is fixed atm, I'm hoping it wont come back

Reactions: Colif

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017

1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
Update: It's happening again, but even worse now (usually it worked after a few reboots but now it doesnt work until I boot up using safe mode :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
you might consider going into bios and see if you can read the voltages from the power supply.
(make sure they are close to spec )
Voltages of 12V, 5V and 3.3V, Which One Uses Each Component of the PC? | ITIGIC

if one of the voltages is off the motherboard protection circuits will not let the computer boot you just see a black screen until the power become stable again.
(at least on a good motherboard, bad ones do not check and lets the cpu boot but gets a bugcheck 0x124 at the boot up)

if the system boots then goes black screen it can be the power supply circuit or other things. (overclock drivers, overheating, sound driver crashing the GPU driver, bad power to gpu)

you would not be able to enter bios or windows if the protection circuit is enabled
on older systems you would blow the dust out of all the fans, cpu, gpu and PSU fans.
(if it is a heat related failure) On a system that just had a hardware change you would check all of the power supply connectors for a good connection.

Last edited:

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
you might consider going into bios and see if you can read the voltages from the power supply.
(make sure they are close to spec )
Voltages of 12V, 5V and 3.3V, Which One Uses Each Component of the PC? | ITIGIC

if one of the voltages is off the motherboard protection circuits will not let the computer boot you just see a black screen until the power become stable again.
(at least on a good motherboard, bad ones do not check and lets the cpu boot but gets a bugcheck 0x124 at the boot up)

if the system boots then goes black screen it can be the power supply circuit or other things. (overclock drivers, overheating, sound driver crashing the GPU driver, bad power to gpu)

you would not be able to enter bios or windows if the protection circuit is enabled
on older systems you would blow the dust out of all the fans, cpu, gpu and PSU fans.
(if it is a heat related failure) On a system that just had a hardware change you would check all of the power supply connectors for a good connection.

Okay so without trying any of these, I took my PC and tried plugging it to another monitor + used a different HDMI cable and have not encountered this issue again. Could this be caused by a damaged cable / defect monitor?

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
What monitor do you have? I had similar issue with my new build running W11 and old HP w2408h monitor that is 14 YO. Monitor worked/works on great on W7. Turns out that monitor had no driver support after W8. New box worked on other monitors, but not mine...and yes I tried different cables. New monitor solved my problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fotgi
Okay so without trying any of these, I took my PC and tried plugging it to another monitor + used a different HDMI cable and have not encountered this issue again. Could this be caused by a damaged cable / defect monitor?
i have seen monitors that have their own sleep circuitry go to sleep and not wake up from the monitor side. I had to unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in, then go into the monitor firmware and tell it never to sleep. I ended up getting a monitor upgrade.

Reactions: Fotgi

Fotgi

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017
What monitor do you have? I had similar issue with my new build running W11 and old HP w2408h monitor that is 14 YO. Monitor worked/works on great on W7. Turns out that monitor had no driver support after W8. New box worked on other monitors, but not mine...and yes I tried different cables. New monitor solved my problem.

I've encountered the issue with the "LCD 69cm MSI Optix G273DE" :/

i have seen monitors that have their own sleep circuitry go to sleep and not wake up from the monitor side. I had to unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in, then go into the monitor firmware and tell it never to sleep. I ended up getting a monitor upgrade.

But why do the lights of my keyboard, mouse and headset turn off too then, or is that normal when the monitor goes to sleep?

But why do the lights of my keyboard, mouse and headset turn off too then, or is that normal when the monitor goes to sleep?

no, a monitor sleep circuit inside the monitor will blank the screen even when no cable is plugged in. the GPU circuit to the monitor should only blank the screen and not turn off the keyboard. The USB hub going to sleep would turn off the keyboard and a usb headset but not the monitor.

there are various tests:
after the screen goes blank, power cycle the monitor and do nothing to the pc and see if the screen graphics come back to see if the problem is the monitor.

2. second test is to disconnect the video cable and reconnect to find problems in the GPU screen blanking circuit

it seems like your system goes to sleep and does not wake up.
I start by looking to make sure that the wake up devices are not also put to sleep. IE make sure windows is not telling the USB hub to sleep so that the mouse and keyboard can not wake up the system.

I have seen BIOS system that will sleep USB ports on a timer to save power.
windows will sleep usb ports on a timer to save power. These were implemented due to some nations passing regulations to save power on idle computers.

you might run cmd.exe as an admin and run the tool
powercfg.exe /energy
and take a look at the report to see if something strange is in the report.

I guess i would confirm that you can put the system to sleep and wake. I would do this several times. I have seen bugs where it would work fine until the 8th cycle. Then it would fail or corrupt the pagefile.sys.

TRENDING THREADS