Nov 4, 2019
Using a 970, i5 4690k. I'd have thought it'd be ok to handle this but it seems not.

It's also VERY indecisive. I could play Rocket league for 3/4hours without problem. Resi 2 reboot or CS:Go and it's dead within 30 mins.

Steps i've taken: PSU Swap, clean wipe of Display drivers/reinstall, from boot anti-virus check and that's about it.

The event log:

Event ID: 41Bugcheck code: 0 (Probably because I have to force shutdown)

16 events under Device Setup Manager: (Last hour when crash)

Event ID: 131

Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070057 for container

Now i'm looking at it, I think all my crashes are based around that.

I get 6 ID 131's per crash/blackscreen.

I also get license activation errors but I imagine that's because I'm running without activation currently. (Temporary been about 2 weeks)

Event ID: 10016, Distributed Com

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

I get those around the time of the blackscreens too.

Temperatures have been checked and I've ran 3dmark and had no problems.

Apologies if wrong subforum, I'm learning as I go.

*as you can tell by the activation issue, I am in a tight situation as of current and anyway possible that I can avoid to replace a GPU then I'd take it. Thanks again x

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
90% of win 10 PC on earth have dcom errors in event viewer. that isn't telling you anything about bsod

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Do you have latest nvidia drivers? if so, might want to try running ddu again, and on restart run windows update and use the old Nvidia drivers microsoft still have. They are more stable.

0x80070057 is a windows update error, you could run the windows update troubleshooter, its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot

Nov 4, 2019
I will get right back to you after I've set this dump and enforced a blackscreen.

@coif - Just the two event 41 reports in Reliability history, although I was using Event Viewer to find that.

Nov 4, 2019
90% of win 10 PC on earth have dcom errors in event viewer. that isn't telling you anything about bsod

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Do you have latest nvidia drivers? if so, might want to try running ddu again, and on restart run windows update and use the old Nvidia drivers microsoft still have. They are more stable.

0x80070057 is a windows update error, you could run the windows update troubleshooter, its in settings/update & security/troubleshoot

So what happened then is in a game I got fans 100% & blackscreen. I forced shutdown fast, however, on reboot I haven't got a memory dump file generated in the directory I selected, I imagine this is due to me just being outright stupid so is there something I've done wrong there?

"Write event on system log" checked
"Automatically Restart" checked

Small Memory dump selected

Small dump directory: Desktop/memdump (Folder)

I'll run the windows update troubleshooter now

I also do have the latest driver so I'll attempt the DDU / Windows driver suggestion shortly, however I have to leave in 30 minutes and won't be able to respond for 4-5hr

Colif

Win 11 Master
You aren't getting BSOD so dump files won't be formed. Blue Screens would have restarted PC, all that happens with yours is screen turns off. And windows isn't showing any signs it is aware of it.

If it was drivers I would have assumed to have seen errors about DWM.exe which is the windows desktop manager, it runs all graphics on the desktop.

What are the remaining specs of PC? I have similar parts to what you mentioned so far, what PSU have you got now?

Nov 4, 2019
You aren't getting BSOD so dump files won't be formed. Blue Screens would have restarted PC, all that happens with yours is screen turns off. And windows isn't showing any signs it is aware of it.

If it was drivers I would have assumed to have seen errors about DWM.exe which is the windows desktop manager, it runs all graphics on the desktop.

What are the remaining specs of PC? I have similar parts to what you mentioned so far, what PSU have you got now?

Ok so I tried to boot into safemode for DDU and the first time I got into safemode but it hanged with 'Windows is not responding'

Second, third and fourth time from Advanced Startup/Restart Now/Troubleshooting Upon restarting I'd hang on a blackscreen indefinitely. Feel like that's worth mentioning as I'm sure it's not normal, could be related to the windows update thing.

Anyway,

I'm running a 4670k, evga 970sc, 8gb DDR3

Gskill ripjaw 8gb ddr3, was 16gb but one of the two sticks just does nothing whatsoever. Doesn't cause crashes but removed anyhow.

PSU is a PoS. Did have an xfx 650 but I assume it couldn't handle it as I'd get surge protection restarts when I upgraded to current monitor. Now using an 800w hard to name psu that I'm sure was an amazon purchase at one point... but it's not branded. I'll try be more specific in a few hours, I'll make a more detailed list.

The only reason I'm not blaming the PSU as of right now, is I had the same issue before the replacement. That's not to say the PSU isn't the cause of all this it could well be but It's just very annoying and peculiar.

Just to mention also, looking at system info, It says "installed physical memory 4gb/physical memory 3.94, available physical memory 1.29, total virtual memory 10.4gb, available virtual memory 6.63 and page file space 6.5

Bit confusing to me that bit but heyho.

Nov 8, 2019
I have the exact same problem. Also have 970 Nvidia. PC was working perfectly for a month til last Windows update.

Same errors, same no screen input random <Mod Edit> happening. Hard reset to come back. No problems just in windows, but when games are on, sometimes they go blackscreen and I have to reset.

It is not the PSU, ram, or the Ryzen.

Any updates on this @Psychedelics

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS