Question Blackscreen on RTX 3070

Jan 11, 2021
Hello. I have a problem with my GPU. During the game (cyberpunk 2077, the crew 2, GTA 5, etc.), the monitor turns black, the sign "HDMI" appears in the corner and the computer restarts. I tried different versions of the graphic driver, installed the latest version of the BIOS, reinstalled the computer, bought a new more powerful power supply, tried various settings in the BIOS, but the problem was not solved. My computer worked well with a GTX 1060 6 gigabyte. There is no overheating of the video card or processor, temperatures are within 70-75 degrees. What could be the problem?
My setup is:
INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 3070 ICHILL X3 CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 4.2 GHz Memory Size : 16 GB DDR4 Motherboard : Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite Display Monitor : Samsung C24F390FHI.

Jan 11, 2021
Updated the monitor firmware?
I remember some old news about RTX 30 playing funky with HDMI or something and the monitor/TV manufacturers had to release firmware updates.
I think so, cause on Samsung's official site there were no updated drivers or something like this. Like from the 25.02.2016.

Jan 11, 2021
Do you have another HDMI cable to test with? At least to make sure it's not a faulty cable?
I'm not sure what else it could be but I suspect the monitor
I have seen cases like mine on Nvidia forums with different monitors, DisplayPorts and GPU vendors. I was using this cable with my GTX 1066 and GTX 1080ti - all worked fine. I am willing to buy a new DP monitor soon, but I am not sure that this will do the trick.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... trying to think what else causes those signal drops :unsure:
-Psu is a good one, so it should be fine, unless it's seen a fair bit of wear and tear?

-Gpu thermals are fine?

-Try running the PC in a clean boot state: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Follow the instructions there and don't disable any Microsoft services, or it'll screw up Windows. As long as you don't skip step 3, you'll avoid doing that.
The idea is to try and run those games with only the Microsoft services enabled. If you don't get the black screen with just those basic services, then the culprit will be one of the drivers that was disabled.
Then you'll have to enable the non-Microsoft services one at at time until you figure out which one(s) trigger the black screen.
If you still get a black screen even with only the Microsoft services enabled, it's highly likely the culprit is hardware.

Jan 11, 2021
Yes, temperatures are fine, CPU and GPU are working on 50-55 Celcius when the black screen is popping out. PSU is brand new so I don't think that it has problems. I was also using a different PSU lately with this 3070, but the problem appeared too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So it only happens in a game? Have you tried something like furmark or Kombuster to stress the gpu? Is there a certain time it happens? Like after several minutes under load or immediately or after a half an hour or so?

Sounds like a vram overheat.

Jan 12, 2021
I have a 3060 Msi Gaming X Trio and the same thing happens to me when starting Nfs Heat, I fix it by forcing it to start in windowed mode with alt + enter while starting. Apparently it fires the cpu and gpu at 100% for no reason, starting in window mode that seems solved. Also lower the limit of the gpu to 85 to test and it worked, with the other games it does not happen to me even when it is in 100% use. Maybe 100% cpu + 100% gpu is a crash for my psu (650+ bronze corsair)

Jan 11, 2021
So it only happens in a game? Have you tried something like furmark or Kombuster to stress the gpu? Is there a certain time it happens? Like after several minutes under load or immediately or after a half an hour or so?

Sounds like a vram overheat.
I have tried OCCT test for like 30 minutes and all worked fine. It happens randomly. I can fight like 15 minute ultra graphics battle in Mount and blade: Bannerlord and then just randomly get a black screen when just chilling on the global map or in the store.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
Remove GPU, if using liquid cooler remove liquid cooler, detach the mother board and reseat again, blow to pci express slot to remove unwanted dust,

That's what i did for my rig which was not stable, had crashes all the time,
Also my motherboard was not seated properly so top side was kind of shaking when i touch the case even lightly
And make sure all the cables goes in place nicely
Reseat ram and blow air to the slots like we did on pci express slot

Could sound nonsense but It is the basics if nothing worked

Or could be bad windows

Jan 11, 2021
UPD: I have bought a new monitor with DP 240 Hz and the problem still persists. But in Battlefront 2 all seem to be fine, with no black screens or glitches.

Adam65

Great
Nov 29, 2020
UPD: I have bought a new monitor with DP 240 Hz and the problem still persists. But in Battlefront 2 all seem to be fine, with no black screens or glitches.
My old GTX 980 gets 90 fps in ultra settings on 1080p, I think the 3070 Is not using that much power to feed that game. I think you have a stability issue. Have you tried other PSU's ? Or other GPU's

Jan 11, 2021
My old GTX 980 gets 90 fps in ultra settings on 1080p, I think the 3070 Is not using that much power to feed that game. I think you have a stability issue. Have you tried other PSU's ? Or other GPU's
I had a different PSU lately - Seasonic 620 wt -same problem. Also I have been using this setup with a 1066 and 1080 ti and all worked fine.

Jan 11, 2021
Hello, have you found the solution? I have the same problem, and I can't find any help
Unfortunately, no. I have returned GPU to the Store, and they have confirmed the technical issue. The mos pain I that issue that they could not give me another 3070 for a replacement, they just refunded me the November price that is 3 times less than it cost now.