[SOLVED] Blackscreening when playing games. Please help.

May 27, 2022
Hi. My friend is having trouble getting blackscreening predominantly when she is playing games. She can play games that aren't demanding such as Hydroneer, Rocket league, house flipper, but will get sudden blackscreen when playing Insurgency Sandstorm, GTAV, New world, games that are a bit more graphics intensive. It's sometimes will blackscreen before even entering a match, and sometimes can be playing for a while then will crash. She has tried reducing graphics settings to low, using one monitor instead of two, and her PC supplier even replaced all hardware except the GPU because that passed a stress test and seemed fine. She is unaware of her PSU specs, but I feel like the GPU is making the blackscreen issues when it's getting overstressed? I will attach some pictures of her specs and what she has caught when blackscreening. I am interstate and can't pull her machine apart to check things, but if anyone might have an idea what is causing the crashes please let me know! The RTX3070 is of iGame brand which I don't know much about, and the CPU is an i5 11400F, with 32gb ram. One screen is Acer 1080p, and the second an MSi 2k curved monitor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/69qpQQTGaXCPUVhM8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zA1aaB6sWBLfC2Lg7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H3AaNRwqqDkg6fXp9

Solution
PSU is SST-ST60F-ES230.

This specific PSU model is indeed the culprit.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's the SILVERSTONE brand model ? This is a very cheap budget low-end power supply unit (just a basic White efficiency rating). Not recommended for high-end GPUs like the RTX 3070. You need to ask her to upgrade the current PSU, and get a HIGH quality model/unit.

But the above Silverstone PSU is mostly recommended for iGPU systems, and not some high-end discrete GPU. Stop powering the card using this power supply. Since PSU is the MOST important PC component, we shouldn't skimp at all, or make any compromises.

I would definitely not recommend to power up the RTX 3070 using the above silverstone PSU model. NVIDIA recommends...
She is unaware of her PSU specs,

This information is VERY important. Try to get the exact make/brand and Model number of her PSU. Since she is using a high-end GPU, then it is equally important to grab a high quality PSU, though I'm not saying her current power supply is indeed the culprit here, but knowing the exact Model number might help narrow down this issue.

I presume that's a new PC ? What's the GPU and CPU TEMP values while gaming btw, as well as while in IDLE desktop Mode ?

The RTX3070 is of iGame brand which I don't know much about,

That's the COLORFUL GPU brand from China/Asia. They make some solid good quality GPU models though. So this card should be fine, but it must be beefy, since it carries the iGame logo.

May 27, 2022
This information is VERY important. Try to get the exact make/brand and Model number of her PSU. Since she is using a high-end GPU, then it is equally important to grab a high quality PSU, though I'm not saying her current power supply is indeed the culprit here, but knowing the exact Model number might help narrow down this issue.

I presume that's a new PC ? What's the GPU and CPU TEMP values while gaming btw, as well as while in IDLE desktop Mode ?

That's the COLORFUL GPU brand from China/Asia. They make some solid good quality GPU models though. So this card should be fine, but it must be beefy, since it carries the iGame logo.

PSU is SST-ST60F-ES230. The tower was built in June 2021, and has had everything replaced on warranty through out the year except the graphics card and I believe the power supply. Idle temp for the GPU is around 40 degrees and CPU was at 1% usage, loading into things such as FiveM GTAV, it goes up to about 70 degrees for GPU and 32% for CPU. Mid play through a round of insurgency sandstorm its running at 80 degrees GPU and 44% CPU. The GPU did drop back down to 49 degrees as well as CPU went to 49% when about to load into another round/map but the GPU made its way back up to the 80 degrees again and the CPU was at 46% during the drop then back down to 35 percent.

PSU is SST-ST60F-ES230.

This specific PSU model is indeed the culprit.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's the SILVERSTONE brand model ? This is a very cheap budget low-end power supply unit (just a basic White efficiency rating). Not recommended for high-end GPUs like the RTX 3070. You need to ask her to upgrade the current PSU, and get a HIGH quality model/unit.

But the above Silverstone PSU is mostly recommended for iGPU systems, and not some high-end discrete GPU. Stop powering the card using this power supply. Since PSU is the MOST important PC component, we shouldn't skimp at all, or make any compromises.

I would definitely not recommend to power up the RTX 3070 using the above silverstone PSU model. NVIDIA recommends a minimum 650 Watts high quality PSU for the RTX 3070, but if you're currently working with, say, a good quality 600W PSU, you might get along just fine depending on other hardware in your system.

This is especially true if you're currently using an underpowered or aging PSU; not having enough power will usually lead to overall system instability and game crashes.

Last edited:
Solution