Blackscreens with multiple monitors - GPU vs. PSU?

Jan 28, 2019
hey, i'm having an issue here i'm not able to find a definite answer to and hope someone can help.

my GPU suddenly seems to stop and send my monitors to standby when it gets under a little bit of load. for example, it blackscreens right at the beginning of graphics-benchmarks, without displaying even one benchmark-image. the PC continues to run though (when a blackscreen happens at the beginning of video-replay, the sound is still there without interruption after the monitors go black). CPU (fan) seems to get a little louder when this happens.

there is no temperature-problem with the GPU (cleaned, new thermal paste, new drivers, etc.), but it seems like it's not able to serve multiple monitors any longer. with only one screen connected, it works as it should and i even can run benchmarks without any problem. but as soon as i connect two or more monitors, it blackscreens at the smallest sign of load.

i'm not sure about the source of this malfunction and could not find a solution, but i require multiple screens running smoothly again, without turnig off when under a little bit of load. as those blackscreens always happen instantly when load is growing (the GPU doesn't even get the chance to run hot), can they be traced back to the PSU rather than the GPU maybe? i'm really not sure what i need to buy in order to get things running normally again.

my (unfortunately already very old) PC:
ASUS M4a77T
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
AMD Radeon HD 6950 (flashed 6970)
12GB DDR3
PSU: noname 650W

thanks for help!

Jan 28, 2019
ok, it seems like downgrading to the original gpu-bios helps. i was able to run a full furmark-benchmark with more than 1 monitor connected. question is now, why does it suddenly fail with the 6970-bios, which perfectly worked for years? is my GPU-memory damaged?

oh and may this also be the reason, why newer PSUs failed running my PC?