'Blackwell Deception' Indie Dev Claims 30,000 Steam Keys Stolen in Promotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

The problem is arse's who ruin it for everyone else.

williamf3000

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
The harm is potential in nature. Businesses must assess risk. This event increases risk in the future, which decreases the benefit to all. Furthermore, there is a real cost to the business. Internal resources have been diverted to these aholes. If anyone thinks that something like this does not affect business decisions, then they have no idea how business works!

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Actually ironically this incident may have profited the developers. This meant there were less copies given out for free meaning more potential buyers and there is now a lot of free publicity because of this news report.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

The problem is that there are people out there doing this.....

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Keys canceled, problem solved. FREE advertisement/publicity...Shut up please. The news story should be, "pirates foiled as dev laughs at them and get free advertising"...ROFL. He's whining about nothing.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
"Developing for the PC platform is a difficult task, if only because of rampant piracy."
That's no different for any platform. You can buy chipped xboxs, ps3 hacked, etc. XGD3 anyone? All the different waves...DRM for xbox360...Once hacked I'd say it's much easier to pirate consoles game after game. At least you have to work for each PC game. There are sites totally dedicated to helping you with your console, so not sure either side has an advantage. If you want to crack it, no matter what it is, you can (and these people have no intention of paying EVER, thus attempting to thwart them just costs you money). There are people that will mod your xbox360/ps3 for you, after that you just have to be able to use imgburn via forums etc (free). Every PC game is possibly different and over it's life has multiple patches, cracks etc (which for some makes it worth a purchase right there, too much effort). ON the console side once hacked its just another burn and maybe a little patience between new firmwares. With a PS2 all you needed was two pieces of tape and a boot disc...LOL. Pirating is easy if you want it you got it. They should be thankful there are enough honest people to keep them in business. Lower the prices and you get more sales and even slow piracy. It isn't usually worth pirating something (for most) that is $30 or under. At $60? Well that's motivation for a lot of people especially when you can't return the product if it sucks. Which is probably why I usually wait for GOTY (patched, fixed, includes all DLC, so basically is what you should get the day it sells) :)

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Bring back shareware versions that have a few levels of play, like Doom did to start it all.
Not the kind that can be unlocked with a key to get the additional levels, you have to DL a full version.
It's really not that hard and avoids this kind of problem.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
The point isn't that "oh hey, the keys were canceled, who cares then?". The point is that shit like this won't happen anymore because of those stolen keys. Developers will stop being nice, and do shit like EA to combat piracy. The more people keep fucking around like this, the more game devs will adopt EA-like policy.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
The idiots making the "so the keys were cancelled they got free advertising...LOL" are probably the same idiots taking advantage of non-EA, I mean evil, game devs trying to spread the word. Then they complain because EA resorts to draconian measures to try to prevent piracy. If you really want good games and not origin then don't be a dipshit, let the devs give out free keys and don't try to make a buck off of someone else's hard work. Reminds of the same people that flocked to Wal-Mart because their foodstamp cards had no limit, get a life don't live off the rest of us.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

So you've equated me with thieves and I must be a dipshit trying to make a buck off them (thus I stole them) and thus I'm the idiot causing EA piracy measures...LOL. I don't buy EA games and only support GOG/kickstarter. We done? I never called them EVIL for trying to spread the word (didn't call them evil at all). Just said they are making stuff out of nothing while getting free PR. I don't even call THAT evil, heck get it while you can. Just don't be complaining while getting pretty much the excellent FREE PR if it essentially cost you nothing but cancelling keys.

I complain about EA because as an honest buyer I refuse to be treated like a criminal WHILE giving them my money which is all DRM does. I have never had a foodstamp in my life and I myself have only received ONE unemployment check in my life and only to try to get school funds for an MCSE track at a college. When I FINALLY got the check (it only took 2.5 months, some classes etc and finally check received), they had run out of money for tech classes so I dropped unemployment....ROFL. I fully believe you should have a VERY SHORT time on unemployment and get your butt back to work.

I should be calling you an idiot or dipsh1t for making statements about someone you know nothing about...But I'll refrain ;)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I have no steam account either...so have nothing to do with them...ROFL. :) I've said it many times in these forums. Maybe one day I'll crack (steambox?) but I've never had a steam account yet. Again, gog/kickstarter only.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
You talk like a pirate, display pirate knowledge and condone pirating, therefore you must be a pirate. I think making a quick buck on the back of someone else was the pirate goal. I don't condone stealing for any reason. If you don't want to pay the price or can't afford it, then don't play. I'm sure more productive activities could be done with the time saved.

awesomedude911

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
its not likely that 30,000 people stole the game, more like a few hackers from China. They would not be able to sell all of the codes over night, it would be a job by itself just to sell them.

besides that the game doesn't look impressive.

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
To those who say the game doesn't look good, I say if you like old school adventure games, you will probably like this game. I bought the whole set of games off gog earlier this year, and enjoyed them all.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Not sure who your comment is directed at. All of the stuff I said (and more) is easily available on major tech news sites, and at times even linked to in stories so you can read just how easy it is with a click or two. I never condoned ANY piracy. At most I explained why it happens and gave a tip on how to solve it (lower prices, remove DRM). That doesn't say whether I condone it or not. If I swear a lot does that make me a trucker?...LOL. If I pirate games why would I buy them from Gog or support kickstarter? Or maybe I'm not the one you aimed your post at?...ROFL. I don't want to pay their prices at EA etc, and don't like DRM at steam (yet) so I don't play anything they have. Done yet?

Another person judging people apparently just for having knowledge. I can tell you a crap ton of info on nutrition. Am I a certified nutritionist? NOPE. I don't have time to play the games I buy from Gog even etiher. I just buy the sales to support them (but do plan to play them at some point). Basically I'm the exact opposite of what you're saying, I'm just more knowledgeable than most as an IT/stock person who reads about anything that could affect either my JOB or my STOCKS (piracy - how easy is it to kill my stock) etc. I surmise DRM stops nobody serious, pisses off honest people and changes nothing with my stocks unless DRM pisses off so many a good game will go down (indie devs are changing the game anyway, so no game stocks or console stocks).

If I know about aids or cancer, do I automatically have either? Might I just be a very active person trying to help them in any way I can? Might I just have a family member with one or the other? That statement if it walks like a duck, quacks like one etc it is one, is ignorant or worse just stupid. I can do all of that for fun for 10 minutes but will never actually be a duck right? jeez.

It's comic people like you judge people in a few lines of text. WOW. If you quit judging people, to quote you, "I'm sure more productive activities could be done with the time saved."

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Some of the comments on this article make no sense. Free advertising can be had by all anyways; it's called the internet. Also, by their "logic", an arsonist should be able to burn their houses down, and then after the insurance company replaces everything, the cops should say we won't charge the criminal who could have killed your families b/c the house was replaced, where's the problem/no harm done.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Not the same. This guys game is now mentioned on just about every tech site and headlined. He didn't have to do anything to get that and I'd think it is hugely helping him get seen. Free advertising is a bit different than headlines at PC Magazine, tomshardware, PC Gamer, Joystick, Kotaku,guru3d, linustechtips etc as front page news items.

blackwell deception keys stolen

Just google that, my god, he is everywhere now. FREE. This is one of the best promotional events this guy will probably ever have.

Nobody says they shouldn't go after the people responsible (that's your twisted idea of someones logic). Just don't act like your software won't make any money suddenly (he flipped a switch and axed 30K keys-big deal). The criminals won't be charged for murder if you didn't die right (maybe attempted, but not actual murder)? Nobody is saying they shouldn't be charged for SOMETHING and of course they should be busted for trying. But this "this really makes me sad, my life is over" crap just should stop. I guarantee he gained more from having to turn off keys, than not having this problem. He's seen everywhere now.

If you call up all these mags, sites etc tomorrow and tell them you'd like a front page news story everywhere they'll tell you to go suck it...LOL. Again, not the same kind of FREE we're talking here. You're talking something that requires work, expense and a whole advertising campaign. I'm talking "here's your campaign, dude watch it explode while your sales blow up"...ROFL. Some people might buy the game not even being interested in it, just because they want to help this "poor dev" who got (not) ripped off... :)

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

If it weren't an issue for the developers and they were so happy about the free publicity then I guess there wouldn't be any complaint, but obviously there is. And as previously stated by another poster, this theft could discourage future acts of generosity by developers. Furthermore, when you refer to my twisted idea of someone's logic, it's actually your own "logic" I was speaking of. Maybe you think the more copious amounts of verbiage you use in replying to people's posts makes your opinion "right"---well it doesn't. Have a nice night.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Oh but I know quite a bit about you. You already let us know that since the devs are getting free publicity out of this that's its ok, no even beneficial, to freely take these keys to sell. I never assumed you never got one of these keys, still don't think you got more than a fair share of a free one. You're arguing that this all benefits the devs so screw the poor behavior that started all this to begin with. You say you don't condone privacy but you have no problem with other people doing it. That makes a partial dipshit.

You claim that piracy is just as easy on any other platform as it is on PC. That's patently false. I know of several people that abuse there Steam accounts using offline mode and free try to pawn off pirated software. Pirating on the PC is usally next to zero effort and free. On the other hand cracking a console is much more difficult, they require hardware fixes and tend not to be the most reliable. More recent iterations have been able to use system updates to help temper the problem. Plus your little comment about needing just two pieces of tape and a boot disc is just stupid. That makes you an idiot. Then there's your grammar and childish use of LOL and wannabe hacker slang but I digress.

Using your twisted sense of logic taken to an extreme it's fine that the Navy yard shooter killed people. Why? Because it means other people will get the help they need and prevent other killings. So we should just pat him on the back and give him a prize. It's not the results we complain about it's the fact that people take advantage of a promotion like this and lower the overall worth of humanity making people that much more suspicious.

I have no problems when people disagree with me, I think it intelligent conversion makes for a better overall view. I wasn't specifically referring to you I was grabbing a whole group, but the fact that you think all of the comments are personal attacks on you makes me wonder a few other things...

Status
Not open for further replies.