Bladeless Fan Technology

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello I was wondering if there are any bladeless PC fans out there?....you know the ones like Dyson uses (Air Multiplier™) with the ring, would/could that technology be utilized as a PC fan?...

The bladeless fan is pretty much an air pump that relies on the air it expels to drive surrounding air in a continual direction, thus the 'air multiplication'. You could have an air pump that had output nozzles aimed at specific locations in your case or given a long enough computer case (think server blade length) then perhaps you could have a pump at the front driving air to the rear?

Either way, I don't think it is an effective means to generate the airflow needed to cool computer components, especially given the often indirect nature that air needs to flow in desktop builds to enter and exit the case.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Trust me, this is one of those times when you can be sure it won't happen. There is no way it could compete with the (very cheap) fans with blades market. Plus, you're looking at significantly lower cooling performance than a standard fan, which would make it worth less to people who value cooling.

Inside the base there is a turbine. Just because the turbine is hidden doesn't mean it's "bladeless".

hankmarvin

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010

Love all, trust a few.
- William Shakespeare

But yeah you're more than likely right matey. But I'm a crazy bar-steward who imagines a future where computer cases are made inside a bladeless fans sphere, so the whole case is effectively a fan constantly dumping the hot air outside....ooooooooooooooo, and then I take off in me spaceship!

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Let the sky rain potatoes.
- William Shakespeare

Yeah sorry to be negative about it, but you won't be finding it anytime soon. That said, who doesn't love to imagine better technology?