Blank screen after installing GTX 1050ti Drivers in Win 10

chris.moore.tlc

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
[EDIT: Turns out it was my monitors all along. New GPUs don't like old monitors...]

Hi,
I keep trying to install display drivers after updating to Windows 10. It gets to about half way then I get a blank screen and I can't do anything. I've tried Geforce Experience and manually downloading the latest drivers. When I try to reboot it gets to the windows loading screen then blank screen. I've system restored like 4 times now and I feel like I'm going around in circles.

Can anyone help me because I'm totally lost here. It's my first time using Windows 10 and the drivers worked fine with this card on my old system (Win7).

Specs:
CPU: FX 6300
GPU: Zotac GTX 1050ti Mini
Mobo: Asus M5A78L-M +
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3 1600 2x8GB

I've had a look around, and some stuff leads me to believe Motherboard doesn't support Win10. Other people have said it's stable if you install AMD Chipset drivers, which I have done, but could that be what is causing the problem?

I mean, Win10 works fine on this system until I try to install the display drivers...

Thanks.

Solution
Latest BIOS revision? PSU's make and model and it's age? Try a repair install and see if you can reinstall your Nvidia drivers. FYI you should try and remove all drivers using DDU.

chris.moore.tlc

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018

Hey thanks for the reply,

PSU: HP ATX 0300AWWA

The PSU is just a 300w HP thing I pulled from an old system. It's like, really old. I know it's not good, but it's been reliable. Could that be the problem? I've got an Antec VPF650 around somewhere. Since this GPU runs off the board power I didn't see the point in using it, so I grabbed this old one from a HP.

BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc. 0502, 18/11/2016

Device manager assured me the BIOS is up to date (Ikr), but I can't find a BIOS version for Win10 for this MoBo, just one for the M5A78L-M without the Plus here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/HelpDesk_Download/

But that seems older than the Bios version my system info is showing?

I've just done a clean install of Win10 for the 3rd time. Is there any point in using DDU after formatting the HDD? Surely there shouldn't be any display drivers installed. I mean, I'll give it a go. At this point I'm happy to try anything.

Thanks.

chris.moore.tlc

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Right,

I tried DDU and then repair install and I'm still getting blank screen after it installs updates.

Could it be something to do with the onboard graphics messing with the GPU? Could it be my monitor? I've tried it on 2 different screens. Should I try buying a new PSU?

chris.moore.tlc

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Right, I don't know what I did, but I think I've solved it. After about 8 system restores, 3 HDD formats, running DDU 6 times and like 14 hours of my life, I got the graphics driver 388.71 to install.

After all that, I think it may have been my monitors...

Thanks Lutfij for the advice.

Feb 19, 2018

Hey Chris. I'm having the exact same issue.

My monitor is old too (but it is 1080p HDMI), so I'm thinking it might be it too.

You changed your monitor or got around the issue in another way?

Thanks!