[SOLVED] Blank screen after memory frequency change in Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2020
Hi folks,

I changed my memory frequency settings in BIOS from AUTO to the advertised speed (2666mhz) of my RAM. The previous target frequency was 2400 for a reason I ignore. Now I have a blank or black screen at boot, no bios, nothing. Fans are running and that's all.

Motherboard Asus Prime H310M-E /BR
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb

I tried the following,
Removed RAM
Removed bios battery
Performed bios jumper reset as mentioned in MB manual
Bios reset through power button
No beep is emitted at boot, even using headphones

I'm still with a blank screen. Could it be that was RAM is in fact 2400 and not 2666? Have I burnt my ram by doing so?
Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
Make sure the RAM is seated properly.
Make sure all power cables are seated properly
Place the CMOS battery back and power on.

Make sure to power off PC, turn off PSU and remove power cable when working inside your PC.
Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
Make sure the RAM is seated properly.
Make sure all power cables are seated properly
Place the CMOS battery back and power on.

Make sure to power off PC, turn off PSU and remove power cable when working inside your PC.

Solution
Dec 14, 2020
Thank you jojesa! Leaving the battery out for 10 minutes has done the trick. I was truly scared of having fried my RAM. So lesson learned, auto setting is my friend.

As a side note, isn't is strange that a bios reset on Asus requires you to actually short circuit two pins or the battery socket connectors? Haven't we got the technology, by 2020, for a simple press button?

As a side note, isn't is strange that a bios reset on Asus requires you to actually short circuit two pins or the battery socket connectors? Haven't we got the technology, by 2020, for a simple press button?
The question is not if it can be done--the question is if people are going to pay an extra $5-$20 to have that feature? ;)

And fwiw, you can attach a small momentary switch to the leads if you need a 'remote reset' switch. ;)

Thank you jojesa! Leaving the battery out for 10 minutes has done the trick. I was truly scared of having fried my RAM. So lesson learned, auto setting is my friend.

You are welcome.

Even though the cost of adding that button is very minimal, manufacturers leave some features for the 'high end' models...besides many users might not even use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.