Blank screen after Nvidia driver update, help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subspaced

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

I finally finished building my system today and had no problems at all until I installed the latest Nvidia graphics driver onto my MSI Nvidia GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II. After I installed the latest graphics driver from Nvidia, my computer will boot up and I could hear the initial windows sound (the one at the login screen), but the screen is blank and the only thing I could see is my mouse, which I could move around.

My system specs,

MOBO : Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
RAM : G.skill 8gb 1600
GPU : MSI Geforce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II 1gb
PSU : Corsair 650HX

I tried installing an older Nvidia graphics driver but that didn't work either. One thing I do notice is that when I move my mouse to the left side, it keeps going "somewhere" and I could pull it back, thus I think it as something to do with split screen. I can't really disable split screen (if it is enabled) since I can't see anything but my mouse.

I installed all essential Windows update, installed drivers for my MOBO, and switched out my old DVI adapter with the one that came with the MSI GPU. One thing I wanted to try was to update the GPU Bios but I'm quite inexperienced in that matter.

Anyone have any solutions to this? I googled and couldn't find much on this issue.

Also, the only way to get back to normal is to go into safe-mode, remove Nvidia drivers, and than restart.

Thanks,

Louis

subspaced

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Fixed the issue! There are a good amount of people who are having the same issue as myself and I believe this would be beneficial for some (not all).

Few things I did,

- Changed slots from top to bottom (didn't solve the problem)
- disabled multi-monitor in bios (didn't solve the problem)

Not being able to solve the problem, I decided to do an additional Google search on the issue on hand and found something interesting. Someone was able to type in his password and log-in to his Windows even though his screen was blank. I tried the same thing and I was able to log in and my wallpaper appeared before me but still no icons or docks. So I came to the conclusion that this was a dual/split screen issue, thus I right clicked and went into my screen settings, and guess what? Dual/split screen is enabled by default and I was able to disable it, now everything is going smooth as cream cheese on bagel.

This took 3 hours :( and I thought my GPU was faulty but i'm glad that was not the case.

subspaced

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

It's a new custom build, so there are no previous drivers installed but I did try older drivers that Nvidia released and they produced the same result. Btw, you posted this without reading that I found a solution heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS