Sep 20, 2019
I have tried countless times with AMD support to solve this issue but I haven't even managed to figure out what is actually causing the issue. I'm going to copy and paste my initial support ticket that I sent to AMD so I apologise if I repeat myself. This issue prevents me from playing certain newer games and I would really like a fix. They have told me to wait for the next driver update (which definitely will not fix my issue because there are no versions between 17.9.3 and the most recent which actually work for me) or to try to put my graphics card in another system (kind of out of the question for me.)
Whenever I try to update my RX 480 Radeon drivers past version 17.9.3, my PC boots into a black screen and my monitors stop detecting input. I get past the BIOS screen, but the loading circle freezes at the Windows logo screen and then my screen goes black, my keyboard and mouse lights go off and then it sounds like my PC is trying to take off. To fix this, I have to boot into safe mode and use DDU to uninstall the faulty drivers. I cannot update to the most recent drivers while in safe mode because of a digital signature error. It is important to note that when the newer drivers are being installed, the bar will often freeze at a certain point (varies from 40% to 70%) and then my PC will restart as if the drivers were installed correctly. I have tried installing the new drivers without an internet connection, with Defender turned off and with the Windows Firewall turned off. My BIOS is fully updated, as is Windows.
Any potential solutions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Relevant specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS
MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8GB

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version of your OS, the make and model as well as the age of the PSU besides the wattage. Which drivers are known to work for you?

Sep 20, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the version of your OS, the make and model as well as the age of the PSU besides the wattage. Which drivers are known to work for you?
Apologies. These are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS
Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x4GB) DDR4 2133mHz
SSD/HDD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB (boot drive), WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
PSU: Antec 700W ATX (Bought in December 2016)
Chassis: Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Mid Tower Case

Any driver version before (not including) version 18.1.1 work. I believe this is when AMD released the Adrenaline Edition of their software. Windows will automatically install version 17.1.1 after uninstalling the faulty drivers too. I have seen this issue get posted a couple of times on various forums but have never really seen a solution to it. I'm not really sure what the underlying cause of this issue is (hardware issue, compatibility issue etc.) and I'm not overly sure what to expect but I would be incredibly grateful if someone is able to help me out because this issue prevents me from playing certain newer games that have driver version requirements. Thanks :) if you need me to provide any more information, I will be happy to do so.