[SOLVED] Blank screen (black but backlit) after bios, turning monitors off and on shows Windows desktop again...I'm confused

Rezzik

Distinguished
May 14, 2013
So I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this issue since I'm not sure what the actual issue is but hopefully someone can provide some insight.

Today when I turned my PC on (booted from sleep on first case of the issue), it went to the bios splash screen like normal and then seemingly stayed on a blank black screen. What I now suspect was actually happening was that Windows was starting normally but there was either some issue with my monitors, graphics card, mobo or just Windows itself having some startup issue with displaying the desktop. After trying to troubleshoot the issue for a while, turning off pc, unplugging stuff, starting up, etc. one-by-one, I tried just turning off the monitors and turning them back on again and for whatever reason that fixed the issue...

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this sort of issue before and also would anyone happen to know if this could be an indicator of any sort of potential failure of any component? Maybe it's just a fluke? And what could it mean if it continues to happen?
S.M.A.R.T. check shows all drives are fine fwiw; any other software-sided checks I should/could run for peace of mind?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X (Corsair H115i watercooler)
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080
Mobo: MSI X299 SLI PLUS
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz (I forget the brand)
PSU: 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
Boot Drive: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO

Last edited:
Solution
Juat one thing you can try, my screen was doing that every so often, tried this tried that nothing seemed to work permanently. So on a lark I pulled my gpu and reseated it and problem cleared. Just a thought.

Rezzik

Distinguished
May 14, 2013
How did you shut the computer down with windows or just press the power button to shut down?

So last night I put the computer to sleep and then this happened - but after multiple attempts of shutting down by holding the power button (because I thought the PC wasn't starting up properly due to the black screen) the problem persisted. So the first case of the issue appearing happened after pressing the power button from the PC being but to sleep from the windows start menu, then it continued to happen after multiple hard reboots. (I'll update my post to clarify that)

Rezzik

Distinguished
May 14, 2013
Could be a hibernation / fastboot issue.

That's kind of what I'm suspecting from what I've found through googling. I'll try turning off fastboot and see if the issue persists when I have time. If that is the case then is there a way to fix that or am I just stuck not being able to fastboot anymore?

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
That's kind of what I'm suspecting from what I've found through googling. I'll try turning off fastboot and see if the issue persists when I have time. If that is the case then is there a way to fix that or am I just stuck not being able to fastboot anymore?

It really depends. On some systems, a simple holding on the power button to force a "real" shutdown can clear it and it won't return for a long time, others you have to keep those settings turned off.