Question Blank screen, no feed to monitor.

Mar 9, 2019
Firstly, I did find a really good answer for this problem but I just want to expand on it a little.

Swapped out all components into a new case. Fired it up and it's blank screen, no POST, no BIOS, the orange light of death on monitor nothing.

Now, it could be the graphics card, monitor etc but my question is.....

If my PCI express x16 card is shot, why won't the monitor work on the on-board VGA socket in my motherboard ?

I've gone through all the possibilities to diagnose it such as jumping the CMOS, full strip down, different monitor, keyboard overrides (they don't work as the USBs aren't kicking in.

If it's the Gforce card, fine but for the onboard to give up as well is just to much of a coincidence.....or not.

Any help to clarify this would be fab.

Thank

Dean

Last edited:
You don't mention your specs. But it sounds to me you've got the graphics card installed while trying to use the onboard graphics (if there is integrated graphics). Usually the presence of a graphics card will automatically disable the integrated graphics.

If you have integrated graphics you'd need to remove the graphics card. Most motherboards will default to the graphics card if it's installed.

Mar 9, 2019
Sorry about that....

Gforce 9600GS 768MB Card
AMD Phenom X4 9500
4gb ram
Asrock N68C-S UCC mobo

I'm sure I tried it without the GFORCE as well and the same problem.

Thanx

Mar 9, 2019
You don't mention your specs. But it sounds to me you've got the graphics card installed while trying to use the onboard graphics (if there is integrated graphics). Usually the presence of a graphics card will automatically disable the integrated graphics.

If you have integrated graphics you'd need to remove the graphics card. Most motherboards will default to the graphics card if it's installed.

Sorry about that....

Gforce 9600GS 768MB Card
AMD Phenom X4 9500
4gb ram
Asrock N68C-S UCC mobo

Thanx

Mar 9, 2019

Sorry about that....

Gforce 9600GS 768MB Card
AMD Phenom X4 9500
4gb ram
Asrock N68C-S UCC mobo

Thanx
The only thing I can think of is to uninstall the graphics card, clear CMOS, and then see whether there is a display when using the onboard graphics. Assuming you haven't tried this already.

I'm going to do it again, I may of tried it with the graphic card in. Sadly, I can't do that til tomorrow..grrrr.

Thanx
This

Mar 9, 2019
Sorry about that....

Gforce 9600GS 768MB Card
AMD Phenom X4 9500
4gb ram
Asrock N68C-S UCC mobo

Thanx

I'm going to do it again, I may of tried it with the graphic card in. Sadly, I can't do that til tomorrow..grrrr.

Thanx
This

No, it didn't work. Might i of killed the motherboard

Mar 9, 2019
could you try another gpu in system also did you put the standoff in the case recheck all wiring and the gpu you have could you test it in another system .

Thanx for the advice but im just going to get a cheapo board and go from there.

Just out of curiosity, where would I get a GPU ?

Thanx

Dean

Mar 9, 2019

Ok, ive replaced the motherboard and....same shit...nothing... flashing monitor light so I'm now thinking is the bloody monitor lead itself. I've tried another monitor, nothing.

Surely it has to be the lead.

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
you did try another monitor with the same cabe from the first one also see if you do the breadboard test you have something .
Yeah, three different monitors, 3 different cables, 2 graphics cards...AND...a new mobo. That leaves two things, the power supply and the one thing where all this started from was a new case.

Yeah, im going to strip and rebuild it outside the case.

Can't do it til tomorrow as my partner will go mad.

Thanx

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
Yeah, three different monitors, 3 different cables, 2 graphics cards...AND...a new mobo. That leaves two things, the power supply and the one thing where all this started from was a new case.

Yeah, im going to strip and rebuild it outside the case.

Can't do it til tomorrow as my partner will go mad.

Thanx

Dean

Ok, I pulled the motherboard out with just memory, cpu and monitor connected. Every com s on apart from the monitor, done the same with the original mobile and the same blank screen.

What I notice was the PSU fan spins up and then slows down conciderably soooo, could it be the PSU ?

Everything appears to work other than the monitor.

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
could you borrow a friend psu only for test and made sure you dont have any bent pins on the cpu evn some missing ones .

Believe me, this is seriously melting my brain. I replaced the PSU and the friggin' same problem. I've completely run out of ideas to try.

I feel like it's getting circular....have I ruined ANOTHER board and do I buy another one ? I've been fiddling with computers for years but never this !

I'm even thinking it's a fault on the power switch..... impossible I know but its doing me in.

New mobo
New PSU
Cables
Breadboarded (just with CPU and memory)
Whole list of fault finding
...and still no post.

Look man, thanx for everything but if you want to drop this I really will understand 😉 I simply can't think of anything else unless I have developed this amazing knack for fucking-up motherboards (sorry for bad language)

Thanx again for you time and patience mate

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
could you borrow a friend psu only for test and made sure you dont have any bent pins on the cpu evn some missing ones .

Yes, checked the pins and they are straight as a die.
Believe me, this is seriously melting my brain. I replaced the PSU and the friggin' same problem. I've completely run out of ideas to try.

I feel like it's getting circular....have I ruined ANOTHER board and do I buy another one ? I've been fiddling with computers for years but never this !

I'm even thinking it's a fault on the power switch..... impossible I know but its doing me in.

New mobo
New PSU
Cables
Breadboarded (just with CPU and memory)
Whole list of fault finding
...and still no post.

Look man, thanx for everything but if you want to drop this I really will understand 😉 I simply can't think of anything else unless I have developed this amazing knack for fucking-up motherboards (sorry for bad language)

Thanx again for you time and patience mate

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
with the new board you stil use the ddr2 ram could you try find a ddr3 ram module from a friend to use it on the board if she take it and remove the ddr2 .
with the new board you stil use the ddr2 ram could you try find a ddr3 ram module from a friend to use it on the board if she take it and remove the ddr2 .

Yes, that's possible. I'll give that go tomorrow.

Thanx for your time with this. I'm just hoping it isn't me screwing the boards up with static. It never occurred to me that my partner's soft furnishings could be the culprit. In essence, I could be a bloody walking, talking capacitor and discharging straight into the board (or is that simply a load of rubbish)....

Thanx again Scout

Dean

Mar 9, 2019
Yes, that's possible. I'll give that go tomorrow.

Thanx for your time with this. I'm just hoping it isn't me screwing the boards up with static. It never occurred to me that my partner's soft furnishings could be the culprit. In essence, I could be a bloody walking, talking capacitor and discharging straight into the board (or is that simply a load of rubbish)....

Thanx again Scout

Dean

Hello again, I thought I'd better fill you in on what I did and what happened.

As you know, it drove me up the wall, no matter what I did it simply wouldn't get POST. So another MB and this time I did not touch it once during the install...anti-static gloves and strap. Ultra careful and HOORAH...it bloody worked.

BUT, it was a few things. The original monitor cable was knackered and I think I kept f*cking up the board(s) with static (I did mention my partners soft furnishings). But its done now....

Just wanted to say thanx for the time you yourself put into it. Always appreciated :)
All the best

Dean