Blank screen when I boot from SSD

computerman1234

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
The other day i got a 240gb SSD to speed up my system as I only have a 1TB HDD. I backed up all the C Drive to my 1tb external HDD and got rid of as much stuff as possible so it would fit on the new SSD and installed multiple os migration tools. Only Acronis (30 day free trial) worked in moving Windows but when i boot from the SSD it shows the windows 10 starting animation and then moves on to a blank blue screen (that is my theme colour for windows). i can move the mouse but nothing else. when i enter bios and set HDD to 1st priority boot order it works fine. My SSD no longer appears in windows explorer but is still there in Disk Management.

please help.

thanks.

PS: if it asks for serial key (read somewhere u need to reactivate windows when u move to new hard drive) can i use my windows 8 one as thats my original because i upgraded to windows 10 if u get me.

Solution
Thank you for stating that your installation was an upgrade prior to Windows 10. The best way to deal with these sort of situations and with Windows 10 is to do a clean installation. The activation key is bound to your motherboard and the hardware attached to it so any changes and there is a "lock up" of your system. For those upgrading from an older OS and adding hardware it's a bit more of a pain to deal with.

1| Have all your hardware changes done when on Windows 8.
2| Once hardware changes are done, perform updates via Windows update until you're eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10.
3| Install Windows 10 as directed.

That's what you have to do, it looks simple but its actually a very lengthy process unless you have an...

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for stating that your installation was an upgrade prior to Windows 10. The best way to deal with these sort of situations and with Windows 10 is to do a clean installation. The activation key is bound to your motherboard and the hardware attached to it so any changes and there is a "lock up" of your system. For those upgrading from an older OS and adding hardware it's a bit more of a pain to deal with.

1| Have all your hardware changes done when on Windows 8.
2| Once hardware changes are done, perform updates via Windows update until you're eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10.
3| Install Windows 10 as directed.

That's what you have to do, it looks simple but its actually a very lengthy process unless you have an activation key for Windows 10...? :) Also keep away from drive imaging/cloning for Windows 10. Any minor changes in registry tend to make it throw a fit and become nonfunctional. Thus if you're going to add something even on a purchased copy of Windows 10 its advised you do a clean install instead of swapping hardware and migrating to a cloned install.

*If the SSD isn't recognized during install then it'll be a good idea to prep your SSD while on a functioning OS in disk management by right clicking on your SSD and creating a simple volume but that is only if it ins't found during install.

Hope that helps.

** Pass on your full systems specs should there be something I forgot to mention.

Solution