[SOLVED] Blank screen with backlight

Jan 7, 2021
Hi all,

First time posting here, a good few years overdue really! I've come up against an issue that has my literally banging my head against the wall. So here it is in the grand hope someone is gonna tech school me!!
HP Pavilion 15 cs2016na
Blank screen on boot but back-light lights up. Power lights ok and laptop fan spins. My first check was a second screen, works perfect but only when Windows starts, cannot see boot processes on second screen. My next thought was, well it must be Bios, updated bios and issue remains. Took the battery out and power drained before starting up, still blank on laptop. Re-housed RAM as a precaution but that is ok too. Updated the Intel graphics driver and restarted, still blank. All the drivers, bios amd windows updates are done.
What am I missing here guys?

Hi all,

First time posting here, a good few years overdue really! I've come up against an issue that has my literally banging my head against the wall. So here it is in the grand hope someone is gonna tech school me!!
HP Pavilion 15 cs2016na
Blank screen on boot but back-light lights up. Power lights ok and laptop fan spins. My first check was a second screen, works perfect but only when Windows starts, cannot see boot processes on second screen. My next thought was, well it must be Bios, updated bios and issue remains. Took the battery out and power drained before starting up, still blank on laptop. Re-housed RAM as a precaution but that is ok too. Updated the Intel graphics driver and restarted, still blank. All the drivers, bios amd windows updates are done.
What am I missing here guys?
Could be a broken display cable

Jan 7, 2021
Thanks LordVile, I'm gonna check that out now. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks again LordVile, I checked the display module on the motherboard with a multimeter and the power is reading so I think you're likely correct. Cannot see any damage to the cable itself though so my thinking is with the data part of the connection...
I attempted to remove the bezel to test the other side but just could not get access, the lower part just would not come away and I didn't want to force it and break the bezel.
I hate dealing with screens! 🙄