Question blank screen

Aug 6, 2021
hello, today i got a amd radeon 7570 hd gpu (for basic computer stuff), i tried plugging it into the monitor with a dvi-i to vga cable,it seemed like it detected the gpu but it showed a blank, black screen. what could be the cause of this? the monitor works just fine if i plug it from the pc , but using a different cable.

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
hello, today i got a amd radeon 7570 hd gpu (for basic computer stuff), i tried plugging it into the monitor with a dvi-i to vga cable,it seemed like it detected the gpu but it showed a blank, black screen. what could be the cause of this? the monitor works just fine if i plug it from the pc , but using a different cable.
Hi Lonchon,

When you say blank screen do you get a post (splash screen) then goes blank when trying to load Windows?

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
no, its just a black scren the whole time
Hi Lonchon,

this is most likely going to be an issue with the driver. I assume the computer was running intergrated graphics befor the GPU upgrade?

can you please download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and do a clean install. use this to remove all files belonging to intergrated GPU.

Download Link https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,1.html

instruction video on using DDU properly
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqUeU09cf8

you will have to go back to intergrated graphincs to perform this fix. remove new GPU

once you go through steps and shutdown then install new GPU again and boot Windows.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
John Chesterfield I had the exact same issue with a customer's PC not to long ago and low and behold it was the drivers.
Drivers don't kick in until after the initial boot process begins when the OS starts loading and should have no impact on being able to access the BIOS or to see the typical splash screen.

In this case, there is a likely hardware issue associated with the GPU or the adapter being used.

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Drivers don't kick in until after the initial boot process begins when the OS starts loading and should have no impact on being able to access the BIOS or to see the typical splash screen.

In this case, there is a likely hardware issue associated with the GPU or the adapter being used.
I know the drivers don't boot until after the BIOS but if the system is running integrated graphics before then this driver could be causing the conflict which it was in the customers I dealt with.

@lonchon if you don't want to follow the DDU process you could always just load up using integrated graphics and disable the integrated graphics in device manager under Display Adapters and try again.

Also try and update the BIOS if that fails.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I know the drivers don't boot until after the BIOS but if the system is running integrated graphics before then this driver could be causing the conflict which it was in the customers I dealt with.
<<snip>>
Sorry, but that isn't how it works (even with integrated graphics). Whatever you did to fix for your customer doesn't apply to this situation.

For example, a Windows driver would be completely irrelevant if booting this system from a Live Linux distro. Also, if the storage devices were detached, the system would still allow access to the BIOS if the hardware was working properly.

@lonchon if you don't want to follow the DDU process you could always just load up using integrated graphics and disable the integrated graphics in device manager under Display Adapters and try again.

Also try and update the BIOS if that fails.

Agree with @COLGeek there isn't even a driver loaded, you solved the issue some way else but it won't have been drivers causing the issues. Hardware itself would likely be causing any conflict.