Blanking screen, random restarts

Hi Folks

Maybe someone can give me a hand with this.

I have installed Windows XP Pro SP1 which is legit and licenced and all that
to start with and activated.

Clean install, but I am having issues with it locking every so often.
Originally it was the display drivers so I installed the nVidia drivers
77.77 and that resolved one of the issues. I am using a GeForce TI4400 on a
MSI-KT880 board (Athlon XP 2400+) with 1.5GB RAM. Nothing overclocked all
standard settings.

Currently the problem is every so often, the screen blacks out and then
comes back mostly on a screen redraw with Picture & Fax Viewer though it
also happens on the desktop. The image displayed is sometimes garbled. The
display is set at 1024*768@85Hz. I have also updated the Via chipset drivers
for AGP/IDE and PCI to the latest version.

Also WMP10 sometimes crashes/locks/causes a reboot for unknown reasons. Only
codec installed other than the ones installed with WMP 9/10 is DIvX 5.0 Pro
which is licensed. It crashes either while playing music or playing movie
files. With the music the visualisations were also going so possibly that is
a cause and i have found that it also happens when the visualisations are
off. The mp3s are on one drive that has compression enabled and is 149GB in
size (it is connected via the Sil680 detailed below)

Other components include a PCI Silicon Image 680 IDE/ATA 133 controller with
2*160GB Harddisks hanging off it. There are also 2*120GB drives on the
Primary IDE Controller and 2 Optical drives on the secondary controller. I
have disabled write caching on the 2 drives on the Primary Controller, the
SIL doesnt allow it. A Terratec DMX Fire 24/96 (with most up to date
drivers). The System partition is 50GB in size and only Windows is installed
on it. All other programs are installed onto D: which is the Primary
partition on the second drive. There is also a Netgear 350 10/100 network
card.

I am at a loss as to what the issue is. There are no listed conflicts in
Device Manager. All drivers are correct and installed.

Any ideas?

Figured out the blanking screen. Seems to be with the hardware acceleration.
Turned it to off and problem solved.

"Niall Merrigan" <remove.niall_merrigan@remove.hotmail.com.remove> wrote in
message news:O1HaoX8rFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Folks
>
> Maybe someone can give me a hand with this.
>
> I have installed Windows XP Pro SP1 which is legit and licenced and all
> that to start with and activated.
>
> Clean install, but I am having issues with it locking every so often.
> Originally it was the display drivers so I installed the nVidia drivers
> 77.77 and that resolved one of the issues. I am using a GeForce TI4400 on
> a MSI-KT880 board (Athlon XP 2400+) with 1.5GB RAM. Nothing overclocked
> all standard settings.
>
> Currently the problem is every so often, the screen blacks out and then
> comes back mostly on a screen redraw with Picture & Fax Viewer though it
> also happens on the desktop. The image displayed is sometimes garbled. The
> display is set at 1024*768@85Hz. I have also updated the Via chipset
> drivers for AGP/IDE and PCI to the latest version.
>
> Also WMP10 sometimes crashes/locks/causes a reboot for unknown reasons.
> Only codec installed other than the ones installed with WMP 9/10 is DIvX
> 5.0 Pro which is licensed. It crashes either while playing music or
> playing movie files. With the music the visualisations were also going so
> possibly that is a cause and i have found that it also happens when the
> visualisations are off. The mp3s are on one drive that has compression
> enabled and is 149GB in size (it is connected via the Sil680 detailed
> below)
>
> Other components include a PCI Silicon Image 680 IDE/ATA 133 controller
> with 2*160GB Harddisks hanging off it. There are also 2*120GB drives on
> the Primary IDE Controller and 2 Optical drives on the secondary
> controller. I have disabled write caching on the 2 drives on the Primary
> Controller, the SIL doesnt allow it. A Terratec DMX Fire 24/96 (with most
> up to date drivers). The System partition is 50GB in size and only Windows
> is installed on it. All other programs are installed onto D: which is the
> Primary partition on the second drive. There is also a Netgear 350 10/100
> network card.
>
> I am at a loss as to what the issue is. There are no listed conflicts in
> Device Manager. All drivers are correct and installed.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Niall,

If you have a sound card installed, try moving it to the slot farthest from
the graphics card; also, check your BIOS settings and make sure the onboard
auto is set to "disabled" not "auto". I know your problem appears to be
graphics related, however, the sound card can cause problems with the
graphics.
EAG1945

"Niall Merrigan" <remove.niall_merrigan@remove.hotmail.com.remove> wrote in
message news:eEUXugrsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Figured out the blanking screen. Seems to be with the hardware
> acceleration. Turned it to off and problem solved.
>

> "Niall Merrigan" <remove.niall_merrigan@remove.hotmail.com.remove> wrote
> in message news:O1HaoX8rFHA.1984@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> Maybe someone can give me a hand with this.
>>
>> I have installed Windows XP Pro SP1 which is legit and licenced and all
>> that to start with and activated.
>>
>> Clean install, but I am having issues with it locking every so often.
>> Originally it was the display drivers so I installed the nVidia drivers
>> 77.77 and that resolved one of the issues. I am using a GeForce TI4400 on
>> a MSI-KT880 board (Athlon XP 2400+) with 1.5GB RAM. Nothing overclocked
>> all standard settings.
>>
>> Currently the problem is every so often, the screen blacks out and then
>> comes back mostly on a screen redraw with Picture & Fax Viewer though it
>> also happens on the desktop. The image displayed is sometimes garbled.
>> The display is set at 1024*768@85Hz. I have also updated the Via chipset
>> drivers for AGP/IDE and PCI to the latest version.
>>
>> Also WMP10 sometimes crashes/locks/causes a reboot for unknown reasons.
>> Only codec installed other than the ones installed with WMP 9/10 is DIvX
>> 5.0 Pro which is licensed. It crashes either while playing music or
>> playing movie files. With the music the visualisations were also going so
>> possibly that is a cause and i have found that it also happens when the
>> visualisations are off. The mp3s are on one drive that has compression
>> enabled and is 149GB in size (it is connected via the Sil680 detailed
>> below)
>>
>> Other components include a PCI Silicon Image 680 IDE/ATA 133 controller
>> with 2*160GB Harddisks hanging off it. There are also 2*120GB drives on
>> the Primary IDE Controller and 2 Optical drives on the secondary
>> controller. I have disabled write caching on the 2 drives on the Primary
>> Controller, the SIL doesnt allow it. A Terratec DMX Fire 24/96 (with most
>> up to date drivers). The System partition is 50GB in size and only
>> Windows is installed on it. All other programs are installed onto D:
>> which is the Primary partition on the second drive. There is also a
>> Netgear 350 10/100 network card.
>>
>> I am at a loss as to what the issue is. There are no listed conflicts in
>> Device Manager. All drivers are correct and installed.
>>
>> Any ideas?

I forgot to mention, blow out the memory slots with compressed air before
reinstalling the memory chips.
EAG1945