Blaster Player5.1&System lock ups

stevengirdham

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I have just installed a creative live player 5.1 sound card.when i start up my pc i get to the descktop wallpaper it locks up,no taskbar or shortcuts.so then i start up in safe mode go into system d/manager and remove the creative card restart then reinsall noe windows works ok until i switch of and restart .

asus a7m266 m/ board
amd 1333, 266 fsb
512 mb of samsung 266 ddr ram
creative geforce 3
maxtor 30 gig ata 100 hd
creative sound blaster live player 5.1
Dtt 3500 speakers
memorex 52x cd rom
memorex 12,10,32 cdrw
epson styuls 890 usb printer
not useing a hub direct into back off mai board

G

Ok some questions first. Did you disable the onboard sound on the A7M266? That's usually critical for this motherboard and a sound card. The jumper is over by the edge of PCI slot 2. From memory, I think you need to move the jumper over the two pins closest to the edge of the case.

If you've done that, it then becomes a question of which PCI slot you have the card in. Most A7M266 have reported the best luck of putting their soundcard in PCI slot 3 because it has the least chance of conflict (only shares with onboard sound and the AMR slot - both of which are unused when you have a sound card in this slot).

If it's neither of those two suggestions, then we'll move on to other stuff.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

stevengirdham

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Thanks for that, i hadnot disable the onboard sound with the jumper only in bios. the jumper is not listed in in the manual.moved jumper over now ok

Latest posts