[SOLVED] bleepingcomputer warns about kb4524244 update 2-15-20

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I could use a reminder: If I'm not wrong, the Forbes computer column which warns about this and that issue with Microsoft is not highly regarded here on Tom's Hardware, but people pay attention to bleepingcomputer.com.

I read this article and checked my own updates, and sure enough kb4524244 was my most recent update. So I deleted it. I hope I did the right thing. -Greg N

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ows-10-kb4524244-issues-and-pulls-the-update/

Solution
I could use a reminder: If I'm not wrong, the Forbes computer column which warns about this and that issue with Microsoft is not highly regarded here on Tom's Hardware, but people pay attention to bleepingcomputer.com.

I read this article and checked my own updates, and sure enough kb4524244 was my most recent update. So I deleted it. I hope I did the right thing. -Greg N

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ows-10-kb4524244-issues-and-pulls-the-update/
Mostly, unless you've seen an issue on your individual systems, there is no problem with that update.
This absolutely does not affect everyone and every system.

Uninstalling it does no harm, but also, no real benefit unless...

Ralston18

Titan
Likely no harm, no foul by uninstalling the update.

Who knows what really could happen in any given installation so taking proactive, preventative action is certainly warranted.

And if something does go wrong in the interim then you know it is not due to the KB.

Reactions: gn842a

USAFRet

Titan

Mostly, unless you've seen an issue on your individual systems, there is no problem with that update.
This absolutely does not affect everyone and every system.

Uninstalling it does no harm, but also, no real benefit unless you had a related issue.

"Microsoft says customers who have successfully installed the update don't need to take any further steps. Those who have configured PCs to defer installation of updates by at least four days should also be unaffected. "

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Also, none of my installs, either metal or VM.

From my main system:
MGmpJIZ.png

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well OK Microsoft can stick the update back on when they've got a version they like better. I probably shouldn't read about these things. I just go about mucking around and could as easily get into trouble as not. Plus updates, who needs 'em? I had a Galaxy S5 that didn't update once in 5 years. (The glory of Wal-mart straight talk as provider.)

USAFRet

Titan
Well OK Microsoft can stick the update back on when they've got a version they like better. I probably shouldn't read about these things. I just go about mucking around and could as easily get into trouble as not. Plus updates, who needs 'em? I had a Galaxy S5 that didn't update once in 5 years. (The glory of Wal-mart straight talk as provider.)
Updates are usually not a bad thing.

But, every OS update, ever, for any OS (Windows, Linux, Apple, droid) has issues for some small subset of the installed base.
Every single one, since computers were a thing.

Some may affect more users than others, some may be more hazardous or data destroying.
But the majority of users and systems have no detrimental effects.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Updates are usually not a bad thing.

But, every OS update, ever, for any OS (Windows, Linux, Apple, droid) has issues for some small subset of the installed base.
Every single one, since computers were a thing.

Some may affect more users than others, some may be more hazardous or data destroying.
But the majority of users and systems have no detrimental effects.

Well I do update the devices regularly, including my two desktops. And I dumped Walmart (Smarttalk)/Samsung because of the update issue. Even though it is not uncommon for the provider not to update the OS, Samsung has a long standing offer to update phones brought into Bestbuy. But they WON'T touch a phone sold from Walmart. So now we all know why Walmart sells them more cheaply. I was at the point where apps wouldn't update. There is another update generating some anxiety, this one right here on TH, KB xxx 693. I guess I'll take a pass on deleting that one.

Greg N

TRENDING THREADS