[SOLVED] Blew $4k on a custom build. Twin 980PRO NVME Raid 0 does NOT deliver!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 23, 2021
just got a new rig with I9-10850k, asus z490-A, and in the pursued of sheer speed, decided to get two samsung 980PRO NVME and run them in Raid 0. Was hoping to get 7000m/s x2 =glorious 14000m/s read speed. Turns out it maxes out around 3500-3800M/s. No other SATA sharing the lane and mode set to pcie. Weird thing is if I run a single 980PRO speed is almost the same. Nowhere near the claimed 7000m/s. Something is bottlenecking these fast NVMEs and I just can't figure out where. Pls help.

Solution
It's because it's a specific motherboard and BIOS that's designed to skip a lot of things. I just wish normal boards give us this option
No such thing.
Bios is the Basic Input/Output System. It has 2 main functions, store all the info about the system (board, cpu, peripherals, ram, settings etc) on the EEProm (cmos) and start the operating system. It doesn't 'skip' anything.

The motherboard doesn't 'skip' anything either. It's a pcb with circuitry, has no directives of its own, that's what drivers are for, to provide instructions.

Cmos is Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, has pretty much the same concept as the main system memory, except it has a battery of its own to maintain power in the cells that store all the...
Jan 23, 2021
6 seconds from power button to desktop? It waking up from sleep (not booting up).

Shutdown your wifes pc and disconnect it from power for 1 minute. Measure boot process after that.
If that is a laptop with internal battery, then this will not work obviously.

Sorry I exaggerated a bit. It's about 9 seconds. I didn't show the video of disconnecting power for 1 minute but I can assure you it boots at the same speed as the video. But I think I can get it close to 6 if I get a faster drive in it.

Jan 23, 2021
Fast boot in the BIOS.
Windows either very minimal services, or coming out of sleep.

I could probably make my 5 year old system (specs below) do that as well.
Age of the SSD is irrelevant.

well I just showed you it's a complete system shut off. Windows have all the normal services, did not tinker with services at all.... My wife didn't even know what "Services" are.

I can make another video of power cord being off for 1 minutes but its too boring.

It's because it's a specific motherboard and BIOS that's designed to skip a lot of things. I just wish normal boards give us this option

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hey guys, let's say it boots in 8-9 seconds. shut down in about 2. I made a video to show you guys.

Note this is on a 5 yr old ssd too (ssd is older than the computer, i took it out of a old machine).

For sale:

10900k with 3090 rig

Boots in 23 seconds.

Best offer.... just know what you are getting yourself into with such a slow machine. I unfortunately didn't and now regret it.

Jan 23, 2021
For sale:

10900k with 3090 rig

Boots in 23 seconds.

Best offer.... just know what you are getting yourself into with such a slow machine. I unfortunately didn't and now regret it.

Well mine now boots in about 13 seconds cold from button press. But still......

oh and LAN doesn’t work on this $5000 system. Known hardware issue for asus z490.....

popatim

Titan
well I just showed you it's a complete system shut off. Windows have all the normal services, did not tinker with services at all.... My wife didn't even know what "Services" are.
No it wasn't... Win10 doesn't shutdown when you click shutdown. It hasn't since Windows 8. It simply goes into hybrid-sleep which is a faster form of hybernation.

There's several ways to do a True of Full shutdown.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No such thing.
Bios is the Basic Input/Output System. It has 2 main functions, store all the info about the system (board, cpu, peripherals, ram, settings etc) on the EEProm (cmos) and start the operating system. It doesn't 'skip' anything.

The motherboard doesn't 'skip' anything either. It's a pcb with circuitry, has no directives of its own, that's what drivers are for, to provide instructions.

Cmos is Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor, has pretty much the same concept as the main system memory, except it has a battery of its own to maintain power in the cells that store all the info stated by the bios.

It's the OS that does everything in shutdown, priming the cmos for bios initiation. When you start the pc, the bios framework is initiated, which then draws the info from the cmos, fills in the gaps, starts the OS. When you shutdown via windows, all the 'stuff' that's held resident in the ram is saved to storage. Faster the storage, faster the shutdown procedure. When you boot, with fastboot, as Windows is initiated it does the same thing as the bios, pulls all that info off the storage and sets it back into the ram. Boom, 8 seconds later you are up and running.

A hard boot/reset is different. That interrupts the cmos procedure, forcing bios to actively search for the hardware, any settings are reverted to the last known good stable boot. Then OS loads, but does not draw from storage, it initiates a clean set of drivers from its driver folder, clean set of drivers from any startup. Boom, 26 seconds later you are up and running.

Fastboot uses hiberfil.sys to perform a hybrid hibernation, that's where the ram is saved to storage. If you look at the drive, you'll see that @ 75% of the size of your ram is dedicated by hiberfil.sys specifically for that purpose. It's not accessible by a user.

Without fastboot, you get a clean initialization of drivers, same as a reset, but cmos isn't affected. Takes 15 seconds instead of 8 with fastboot enabled or 26 from scratch.

Nowhere in any of that is there any 'skipping' of certain things, All must be done since ram will not retain any info after power-out. You either save everything, or loose everything it contains.

My guess is you got told about the fastboot procedure, but that's part of every pc, not specific to that bios or that motherboard.

Solution