Question Blew up power supply forced 2 6 and 4 4 into wrong ports

May 8, 2020
I do not know where to start. I seen GPU Cord and thought it said CPU. It look 8 pin. I forced it in the. Forced the 8 pin that was actually 4+4 cpu into my GPU. Turned on my computer and the power supply pops and the fan stopped spinning. Was going to pick up a power supply. But what could be broken. And what is a decent power supply that can run an i54670k and nvidia 1080 8g videocard. But also be able to run a ryzen 5 3600x. In case I just need a new PC

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Start with Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus Gold 600w~650w.

Wishing for the best. Be more careful next time and don't force anything.

Also should be aware, PSU modular cables (PCIe, CPU, ATX, Sata) aren't standardized so never mix cables meant for other PSU's. Pin outs can be different and short components if misused.

May 8, 2020
What about my CPU. And Ram. Just curious before I send it in. If the power supply i get today don't fix the problem is it worth sending it in so a technician can test my parts and see what working. My GPu would be the worst thing to lose seeing as I planned to use it in my next build. ASUS Rog strix 1080 advanced. Hopfully I can survive a year without a gamming computer. If I ha e to replace a videocard

Wolfshadw

Titan
What about my CPU. And Ram. Just curious before I send it in. If the power supply i get today don't fix the problem is it worth sending it in so a technician can test my parts and see what working. My GPu would be the worst thing to lose seeing as I planned to use it in my next build. ASUS Rog strix 1080 advanced. Hopfully I can survive a year without a gamming computer. If I ha e to replace a videocard

Yes, they could be casualties as well. The only other way to test your components is to try them in another machine that is compatible with your components. If that's not possible, then hope for the best with your new power supply and prepare for the worst.

-Wolf sends

May 8, 2020
Yea.i got a 150 dollar quotes for testing all my hardware. But I more or less have trust issues. But I am going to get a power supply and figure out the damage. If my videocard is the only thing that survived I will be happy. But at the same time I wont because if my cpu and mobo dont work I cant check the videocard and its large so hard to find a place to test it
If you're REALLY lucky, you only lost the power supply, but it's very possible when it popped, it took both your motherboard and GPU with it.
I'd go with a Seasonic Focus Gold 650watt.

-Wolf sends
So I got a corsair Gold 750 watt PSU plugged everything in it booted up the fan on GRP spun for like 10 seconds then stop at the same time the screen came on witht he bios saning no fan detected, it pressed F1 when into bios it show ram and cpu and cpu temp was 54, When i swapped the fan cord witht the cord comming out of the water cooling at cpu nothing happends, actually nothing post at all not even the bios unless there is a no fan error then i can get into the bios but nothing else and it posted the BIOS SCREEEN throught the 1080 nvidia. could their be a conflict with my gamdia water cooler, and or what does everyone think https://www.newegg.ca/gamdias-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835099002 .

Wolfshadw

Titan
So I got a corsair Gold 750 watt PSU plugged everything in it booted up the fan on GRP spun for like 10 seconds then stop at the same time the screen came on witht he bios saning no fan detected,

Was your CPU fan spinning at this time? If it was, then something is broken, but you might still be able to use it. If not, then the motherboard is definitely gone and needs to be replaced.

When i swapped the fan cord witht the cord comming out of the water cooling at cpu nothing happends, actually nothing post at all not even the bios unless there is a no fan error then i can get into the bios but nothing else and it posted the BIOS SCREEEN throught the 1080 nvidia

This is what got you in trouble in the first place. Power cords are NOT meant to be swapped out. They have specific purposes and are only to be used for their specific function.

That $150 quote sounds about right to me for a couple hours of work. Unless you have enough spare components to run your own computer repair shop, "Trust issues" is something you'll just have to live with. This is an expensive hobby and I think you just (hopefully) learned an expensive lesson.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 8, 2020
Was your CPU fan spinning at this time? If it was, then something is broken, but you might still be able to use it. If not, then the motherboard is definitely gone and needs to be replaced.

This is what got you in trouble in the first place. Power cords are NOT meant to be swapped out. They have specific purposes and are only to be used for their specific function.

That $150 quote sounds about right to me for a couple hours of work. Unless you have enough spare components to run your own computer repair shop, "Trust issues" is something you'll just have to live with. This is an expensive hobby and I think you just (hopefully) learned an expensive lesson.

-Wolf sends
My cooler has an fan connection at the radiator, the radiator plugs into hardrive power, the fan is 4 pin, the cord from the heatsinks or rather the cpu cover for water cooler. Is 3 pin I mix them up as cpu it 4 pin slot

May 8, 2020
So I was able to get my Drives and Videocard tested, but was told they didnt have any 4th gen intel boards to test my ddr3 and cpu in. My Asus Rog Strix Nvidia 1080 Advanced 8g, Is alive and well passed the benchmark as anomaly in a good way.
So Anyhow, I am not trying to mislead anyone, and no to offend anyone. Removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator: