Question Blinking caps lock and power button on a HP Elite book 840

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desaxion

Reputable
Apr 10, 2016
Hello! I've had this laptop for about six years and the battery inside it has been pretty worn out over the years. I have been using it pretty scarcely the last year. When I am about to use it now and plug in the power cord, the computer doesn't turn on, but the power and caps lock button keeps blinking simultaneously and continously. I've read on a couple forums that it's probably AC related and some hotfixes could be to remove the battery and the ram modules, hold down power button to drain all capacitors and then reassemble to power on again. This does not work for me however. I've tried using only the AC adapter but that results in the same blinking. The computer won't turn if I don't have the adapter plugged in. The only sign of life is that blinking. My only thought left to fix this laptop is to change the power cord, maybe that's the problem? I don't have access to another power cord at the moment but will in a few days. Is there anything else I could try to save this computer?

Sidenote: with every blink that's occurring, I can hear a very subtle "tick" noise from the computer. It sounds a little bit like there is an electrical circuit connecting and then disconnecting, like with a tiny spark.

Specs are:
Name: HP Elite book 840
Processor: Intel i5 (not sure which model however)
Gpu: Intel integrated graphics
Ram: 4GB (not sure which DDR number)
Excuse my language, English is not my mother tounge.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you take note of the sequence at which the lights blink? Usually they indicate a specific problem considering it doesn't have a motherboard speaker/buzzer to tell you the error code.

To note, have you tried using an eraser to rub along the gold contacts of the sticks of ram? You will need to wipe them clean before reseating them in the ram slots. Try with one stick as opposed to two sticks. Alternate between the slots till you get a splashscreen.

Pictures of the ram sticks will help us two fold. Which version of Windows 10 were you on? SKU for your HP EliteBook?

Desaxion

Reputable
Apr 10, 2016
The sequence that the lights are on is maybe a fourth of a second on and then out for a half, and that keeps repeating. I have not rubbed the ram stick with an eraser, will try that! I do only have one stick of ram, not two.

I cannot provide picture right now, will do later. Will try to put the ram stick in the other slot as well.

I don't know the version of win 10,sorry

What is an SKU? Sorry, not very knowledgeable...

Many thanks for the help so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.