Blinking Underscore on Boot - Won't boot OS from HDD

icdeadpeople123

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
The other night windows decided to do an auto update, as it loves to, right as I'm going to bed. Of course I let it finish and then power off my computer with the power button on the case... Today I go and boot up my computer as usual and at first it won't boot at all, turns out power cable was loose on mobo. When it finally boots I get this black screen with a blinking under score. So it's not booting my OS I figure out. The OS HDD is showing up in my bios and when I insert the windows disk it shows up as a partitioned drive if I go to re install and half the time it says continue to Windows 10. (Also unplugged my other 2 drives just to make sure they aren't causing problems etc.). Help would be very appreciated, thanks.

-Erik

A blinking white Underscore in the top left of the display screen means the motherboard is looking for the first boot able device, or boot able Os partition of a SSD, or a hard disk.

The reason why the system often halts with the white Blinking underscore cursor, is because the interface mode selected for the Sata based devices such as the SSD, or HD where windows os was installed to has been changed.

Or multiple detection of booting devices is not selected in the bios settings of the motherboard.

If the board is a UEFI capable bios.

Enter the bios and select advanced bios mode.
From set up the boot device detection for hardware in this order. Legacy op rom/ Uefi.

Check sata port mode setting, and set it to Ahci mode.

Save the settings and exit the bios.

icdeadpeople123

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Done this, when the computer turns on I see "press any key to boot from CD or DVD" if I do nothing it goes to the same screen, if I press any key it goes to the windows setup because the disk is inserted.