Blinking white line on boot

May 23, 2018
Hello

I was using my pc today (which is plugged into a power strip) and the power button got turned off accidently. When I turned the pc back on, it boots to a black screen and a white blinking line appears in the top left corner. Ive read the other forums on here and tried the different suggestions like...

Unplugging drives
Unplugging displays
Disableing the CSM
Unplugging everything with a usb

Specs for the pc are as follows

Asrock 970 pro 3
Fx-8350 cpu
Gtx-1050 ti gpu
Windows 10 OS on a ssd

Solution
I think what has happened is the boot loader is corrupted by the sudden loss of power, I have seen this before.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - if you don't have it already, its a handy boot drive
unplug all drives except the boot drive - have you tried to boot with just it attached?
what was Boot method before? CSM or not? - It sounds like it was not as if were CSM, just having the boot drive in PC should allow you to boot, as CSM formatted drives have their boot sector in 1st partition on drive so it should easily find windows boot info.

Two types of boot method, which each match different drive formats.
CSM matches Master Boot record format for drives...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think what has happened is the boot loader is corrupted by the sudden loss of power, I have seen this before.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - if you don't have it already, its a handy boot drive
unplug all drives except the boot drive - have you tried to boot with just it attached?
what was Boot method before? CSM or not? - It sounds like it was not as if were CSM, just having the boot drive in PC should allow you to boot, as CSM formatted drives have their boot sector in 1st partition on drive so it should easily find windows boot info.

Two types of boot method, which each match different drive formats.
CSM matches Master Boot record format for drives, every version of Windows until Win 8 used this format
UEFI matches GPT format for drives, Win 8 & 10 default to these.

While MBR drives have their boot info in 1st partition, the UEFI drives can have it anywhere on the drive and the location of it is meant to be stored in the bios itself.

Is there a choice in the boot order called Windows Boot Manager? Try making it top and see if it finds windows.
Have you tried resetting the BIOS? With the boot drive in PC? it may find the info it needs

If you had extra drives in PC when you installed win 10 on the ssd, there is always chance the boot partition is on another drive. So put them all back in if none of above helps and try this:
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
follow this: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

Solution