Blizzard Admits to Diablo 3 End-Game Flaw

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Sounds like they rushed the game. If I remember correctly, didn't Blizz say they wouldn't do that...

I am still playing and having a good enough time. I reached lvl 60 on a WD and have a 30 barb, 31 monk. Loving the Barb. There are so many things needing tweaking with the game. Mainly the loot and AH. Fix the Legends please. I hate spending so much time sifting through overpriced crap in a non-user-friendly interface. Why can we only filter our searches with 3 modifiers!

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
To those saying Diablo 3 needs to be more like Diablo 2, you're wrong.

Diablo 3 needs to be more like Diablo 1 with a little bit of 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' thrown in.

The randomization of the areas, graphics, and architecture is also sadly lacking. Diablo 1 dungeons were almost completely random, and I enjoyed 'getting lost' in Diablo 1.

Diablo 2 by comparison might have randomized dungeons to a certain extent, but every time I went into one, it was a case of 'hurry up and find the next stair/waypoint' as quickly as possible. Getting lost in the D2 dungeons was not an enjoyable experience like in D1. Diablo 3 is similar to D2 in that getting lost in dungeons is usually not enjoyable, especially as the gameplay encourages "rushing". Act 4 'Heaven', anyone?

The butterfly witch boss in act 1, act 2 is ridiculous and ruins the atmosphere.
Oh and the Butcher "Vegetable Man"
I died a little inside.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]envolva[/nom]When did a single player game ending become a flaw?[/citation]
Exactly. I don't see anyone complaining that they don't have anything new to do in Limbo after finishing the game, or in Half-Life, etc. I believe in games replayability, but there are limits to that.

I ain't saying Diablo 3 is a great game though, just saying the "end game" is not one of it's flaws.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
"To that I say, 'Pffft.' I'm still working on Act II with my first character. By the time I complete everything, Diablo 4 will be almost ready to ship. "

"To that I say, 'Pffft.' I'm still working on Act II with my first character. By the time I complete everything, Diablo 3 will be almost ready to ship. "

FTFY.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Here's an idea (a couple) to add more longevity to the game.

1) Add private LAN play without the need to be on the internet.

2) Add a single-player mode without the need to be on the internet.

These ideas worked great for Diablo 2.

nazgron

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Well, the item hunt on D3 is kinda easier than that is in D2...that is what makes the end-game comes so soon imo.
I remembered grinding a whole damn week, 5 hours a day, under the tower of The Countess in Black Marsh for runes. Or grinding The Pit act1, or Aldariel for that fkin-never-drop-Stone-something. D2 has "farm zones" which can reduce the boredom tho it require much, much more grinding than D3. It took me 2 damn-long-grinding years to actually feel bored of D2 =(.
However the elite grp & NV buffs system are ok. And I'm really like how those ppl claimed "wiz is OP", "barbarian can't solo inferno", "barbarian must use shield", "barbarian can never use 2H in inferno", "dual weilding is UP" blah blah... now slowly stfu lol. Classes (or at least the barbarian that I play) have pretty goo design.

But I don't know if you guys noticed: This game is ALL about that AH, especially RMAH, the drop system, character design, gear-stat system, skills, they're all there to emphasize the AH; to force ppl into using it. That's what I don't rly like about D3.
Now I don't have time like b4, finishing the game will took me months, so I'm quite ok with what Blizz has done for D3.

And the ppl calling D3 is bad simply didn't play D2 pre LoD & D2 uber mode =). They just get into the mainstream of "D2 was so awesome" yet never tasted the bitterness-endless-hopeless-grindfest of the game lol.
I have a friend bought D3 at release day as well, 3 days after he said he finish the game and it was boring as hell, stating that $60 for a 12 hours of gaming exp isn't worth it at all rofl. Like half of my friends joined the game left it after normal or nightmare saying "there's nothing else to do, it's just the same thing". It is those ppl who say D3 is bad lol.

Imo there's nothing wrong with the gameplay, but I'm having very serious problem accepting the retarded plot rofl. Feels like the D3 story is written by a 12 yo kid; we have Belial-the-lord-of-lies-who-can't-fool-anyone; Azmodan-the-supreme-commander-who-tell-his-enemy-all-his-strategies-and-how-to-counter-them, and Diablo-the-lord-of-terror-who-can't-scare-anyone-while-having-huge-retarded-mouth...
Missed how the bosses were so silence in D2 lol. They didn't talk, they just spawned evil.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Well, considering that the main storyline for Diablo 3 is beaten on Normal Mode in about 7 or 8 hours and all there is left after that is to run through the SAME STORYLINE AGAIN, 3 MORE TIMES, ON HIGHER DIFFICULTY LEVELS IS KINDA BORING!!!The Item Affixes are BORING. There is NO PvP. There is no original, unique End-Game content like raids or battlegrounds. Every game is capped at 4-players. Repairing items is super-expensive since the last patch. People are posting stuff on the Auction Houses for insane prices (and watching their auctions expire).Sorry - but the game sucks. Blizzard failed to even reproduce the fun of Diablo 2.Inferno Item-farming is not fun AT ALL. And that's ALL THERE IS TO DO AT Level 60!!!!LOL[/citation]
I would add the imbalance of classes to this ...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Here is what i think went wrong and made Diablo 3 such a "short" game compared to Diablo2.

1. To easy to level, everyone hits 60 in days if they want to and then whats left beside killing Diablo in inferno and that's not hard enough to make it feel epic in anyway.
2. To many over simplified character mechanics lacking depth, no real talent trees with permanent choices opening up for replays with the same class and the like. What happened here is likely the big corp reaper "Try to hard to please them all and end up pleasing none."
3. The global AH, get some gold - purchase a good weapon and the character have gained at least 2x its strength compared to what it would have had solo or in group without the global AH. I got more big character upgrades by trading with gold in AH than in game and that's sad when the goal of a game is to be played and having fun.

My 2 cents on Diablo3 vs Diablo2.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]izajasz[/nom]I would add the imbalance of classes to this ...[/citation]
My wife has a level 60 witch Doctor. She dies so easily it is pathetic...
Her monk is nearly impossible to kill though...
I like my wizard...

G

DUUUHH BLIZZZARD!!! HOW ABOUT AN OFFLINE MODE LIKE YOU KNOW SINGLE PLAYER DUUUH LIKE THE OTHER DIABLOS THAT YOU CAN CONTINUALLY GAIN LEVEL!!!!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
RMAH is the main flaw! oh wait..... this is yet another exclusive blizzard/D3 headline again? Why not make a news about the huge amount of D3 players quit dump D3 for Torchlight 2.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
hay... blizzard... hay... listen...

look, you have some kind of alternate world crap going on in the game, first 2 with cow world, this one with unicorn stuff... why not release an sdk of sorts, allow people to create alternate relaties, and than all you have to do is play test them, and designate loot quality, and if they mod some new loot types and looks into it, than you just ave to assighn stats.

put one team asside and have them fine tune, and create a unique experiance every month for these worlds, you know, have them intergrate them into the game more with unique loots and stuff, what is the highest end called again, have the teams pimp out what the fans make.

so

#1 - open up fans to make their own worlds, or levels or what ever they want.
#2 - once submited, make sure its not a easy exp/loot romp, and assign loot quality
#3 - rework these maps, 1 a month, to be full blizzard modified and integrated maps, with unique loots.

this crap isnt hard to do... look at some of the dungeon defenders maps if you want proof that a community will be there if you give them the tools, and many times, the community makes crap better than the devs do.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Blizzard failed to even reproduce the fun of Diablo 2.[/citation]
Am I the only one that misses the old Diablo II skill trees? Especially after they added synergies?

G

I think it's just absolute horsecrap that D3 didn't ship with PVP. What's with developers stringing out every game, delivering it to us piece-meal, rather than in one package?

jonxor

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Maybe this "Flaw" only serves to show what kind of replay value a blizzard RPG has. The game content is not lacking, the formula is. When a game's contest is in how long you've been playing (As it is with an MMO, whether measured in levels, or Gear, or achievements) you end up with people just blowing their time away staring at the screen, having the minimal amount of enjoyment neccesary to keep them playing. Every game gets old and passe after time, but Diablo is way lower on that spectrum. When you get to the end, you've already heard the story (Which in Diablo 3 was so predictable, you knew it before you even finished it), you've got no more goals (You already have all the gear you need to overcome any challenge), and it wasn't really a thrill to begin with, so you're left apathetically wandering off to something else. I could list the problems out, but I don't want Blizzard to gather them as data, and just use it to tweak their one game story formula.

I have a thought here, maybe it is a stretch here, but bear with me, it makes sense. Most people working a job, be they CEO or janitor, want to try to keep earning more, while doing less work. That's human nature. Of course, this causes the quality to go down. A CEO takes a huge risk by running a company, so to do less work, they try to minimize the risk. Nothing about this makes someone a bad person, but to minimize your risk in the game industry, you analyze demographic charts, polls and come up with a formula to make the game that will make you the most money. Well, This is the result, your formula was designed from charts and graphs, and it dominates that world, but you failed to make a game with lasting replay value. If you are a CEO whose job it is to set the direction of the company and take risks, then do it. Your product will not be as good unless it is Do-or-die, Sink-or-swim, Eat-or-starve. Take risks on new ideas, and make a game designed to express your artists' vision and please your players, not with the sole goal of making money. Blizzard could learn a lesson from Valve in this regard.

mad_murdock

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know about you folks and your compliants that "it's too easy to level". When is leveling suppose to be the whole point of a game ? While there are people who enjoy doing nothing more than leveling, Even WoW and other MMOs are not simple about leveling. For a fair number of people, getting to max level is just a PITA they would prefer to skip. How much would anyone like it, if they had to level their characters before they could play in any on-line matches with Battlefeld 3 or Call of Duty ?

Diablo's problem isn't that you can make 60 easy. It that you play the same 4 acts over and over and over and over. With virtually no variation to them. Each class does the exact same quests, in the exact same order. I've leveled 2 characters to 60, I've tried playing other classes, but it's just mind numbling boring. Not sure how to make D3 more interesting, but it's just lacking that "it" that makes it fun to do the same thing over and over.

nazgron

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]My wife has a level 60 witch Doctor. She dies so easily it is pathetic... Her monk is nearly impossible to kill though...I like my wizard...[/citation]
Actually WD tanky build is even harder to get killed than monk... Your wife will need some mini theorycrafting into the character lol.

[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Am I the only one that misses the old Diablo II skill trees? Especially after they added synergies?[/citation]
Yeah it's quite fun, spamming Fireball all day long until u meet a fire-immuned elite grp you would run around for eternity waiting for ur follower to finish them for u.
Vry fun indeed :-?.

Guys that complaints about "too easy to lv", Blizz just optimized the amazingly-boring lvling state from 70-99 for you guys.
That was a part of D2 that I don't want to remember, endless grinding just for xp just not what I wanted. If you want something like that, play the MMO game AION, it fits you guys perfectly.

And you cannot say anything about the game difficult if you're not on Inferno atm =). I've met tonsa post complains about "omfg it's kid's game" the day D3 released, like 1 week later there were TONS of QQing "omfg inferno is insane", "nerf inferno pls it's stupid" blah blah...
Well as a former D2-grinder & veteran WoW raider I strongly believe this mode is quite hard if you clear it the right way - 5 NV buffs on farm -> finish the act's boss, and completed the whole mode in less than 200 hours of play time INCLUDED shopping time on AH - Skyrim took me ~100 hours to one-shot-combo Alduin in Insane difficult & finished pretty much every questline, DAOrigin was about 75-80 hours also with the hardest mode; I'm not sure If you guys really finished the game b4 saying it's so short & easy rofl.

I'm waiting for the D3 exp (it pretty much will be released by the time I finished the current game). If the game's plot doesn't get less retarded I'll quit it tho. Blizz's game was about good gameplay AND epic storyline, not like this D3 lol.

nightshadexl

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
D3 is just fail.
It was promised to us to be fully random 3d levels for a new experience each time.
Yet, act 4 is all STATIC. Act 3 is all STATIC.. come to think of it, ACT 2 is STATIC and ACT 1 is static everywhere except the Cathedral.
There are no random maps. It's always the same it some extra rooms like cellars either being open to go into or closed. But those are always the same too.

The game is linear forced replay. It's like playing super Mario.

Then there's the problem with loot giving no sense of satisfaction or excitement. The loot is just plain boring and useless.

Then there's the 50 other things wrong with it.

It's like buying an indie game that wasn't on sale. It's challenging in the wrong ways from Dev short sightedness and you end up asking 'Why did I buy this crap instead of something from a reputable developer?'

And you're like, oh yea, I thought Blizzard was reputable...

Never making that mistake again...

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Seriously... Would you really want to play Diablo 4? Diablo 3 was in the development for so many years and now Blizzard want to keep pushing release numbers... What is it, a Firefox update cycle? I am a die hard addict of Diablo 1&2, i felt a bit let down by the system in Diablo 3, Inferno so difficult and that's all because of crap gear which you can only pick on inferno. In Diablo 2 you could craft ubber items with runes, and that was achievable after a while of farming. Ahh... What would improve my game time?

1.Stats should be more advanced like we see in the Battlefield 3 (Weapon Kills,Insignias etc.)
2. LAN
3.Community Mods
4. Max level 100 like in D2
5. You should be in control of allocating Leveling Points, not the GAME! There should have been a OPTION choice that you could enable or disable for individual preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.