Blizzard Announces Paragon Levels for Diablo III Endgame

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]others still felt a staggering lack of purpose for logging into the game.[/citation]
Got that right. I don't recall when I had the game started last. But I do recall the feeling of boredom that arose when I last played.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Diablo series is dead. Please move on Blizzard! What happened to innovation? Sounds to me Blizz Execs wanna ride the gravy train by milking all you blokes for what its worth... Not much if you ask me, just rehashed garbage

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
correct move. now bring pvp too, dont make that paragon bonus overpowered and you got a kinda similar playing experience like in d2. and more random levels. and teleport... . and, and, and...

paulbowring

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I think blizzard is a victim of its own success.

First they created a market system culture in WOW that was very lucrative to then that they want to capitalize on in diablo3 but they also want to leave enough room for Diablo 3.2 or the expansion to Diablo so that they can redeem themselves by leveling players up to level 70 and then the third version to level 80 and so on.

I've play the starter version and it's a smooth gutsy game, that is relatively glitch free and very well balanced.

what blizzard should have done is given us a massive world to explore with a randomization engine, that generates fractured lands and insane beasts..... with no experience by any one player ever being the same... ie..... when was the last time you hauled ass to a portal to escape annihilation or called on about 40 of your buddies help you defeat a giga beast of note.

They should have also uncapped the skill acquisition level ..... ans maybe instead of selling items, then sell new moves.... aka check you character into a monastery of with level's to defeat and a grand master to destroy, before attaining a super kick ass move that equates to new move you can show off to you friends that other Diablo 3 users have never seen before and just charge a check in fee at the door for the pleasure of attaining a new skill.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]paulbowring[/nom]I think blizzard is a victim of its own success.[/citation]
Sort of yes. It's hard to make a successful successor to an awesome product. But on the other hand they haven't invented anything new in this millenium! All their ip is from the 90s where anything slightly out of the box is new - now everything they can dream of has already been done by someone else.

If they'd make a sequel to someone elses game, it'd probably turn out much better than the original. Or they could try to make a new ip and hope it doesn't turn into Rage or something.

Either way, they'll get more credit for that - and their marketing department rivals of that of the rotten apple anyway, so they could create huge hype without lifting a finger.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
you know, d3 is just an updated d2 and so i am not sure why so many thought it was gonna be any different . Honestly i personally feel the players lets themselves down by buying D3 and not demanding a better product from Blizzard. I mean i don't even blame Blizzard because if folk are gonna throw money at you while you change them into a legit gold farming clique then hey why not take advantage , it is not as if they are smart enough to realize that this was a 10 year old expansion pack...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
This kinda sucks. I don't mind the fact that you get stronger, but what I do mind is that now I'll have a 'Paragon Aura' around my character. The idea of the perfect endgame for me, in fact the reason I want a maxed-out character with most of the best items possible, is so that I can go back to hell difficulty and destroy mobs and bosses with ease, leaving my party members in awe at my power.

With the 'Paragon Aura' visible, they will notice immediately that I'm not a hell difficulty character but an inferno difficulty one, and all I'll hear is "lol go back to inferno".

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
IMO, the beta was amazing but the game sucks. I won't be going back. And good to see the DRM did nothing to help prevent dupes and bots. Can't wait to see posts about items with hacked stats...

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]audi911[/nom]Imagine how hard they are working now to try to make a non failure expansion pack[/citation]
Released in 10 years

game junky

Distinguished
The Call of Duty Prestige system all over again. I guess yeah for getting something for your effort but lame that they haven't really invested anything into making the game-play experience any better after 60.

C'est la vie

reviewer889

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Blizzard mistakes:

1.Auction House
2.Real Money Auction House

You can tell they really went for $$$ with this one.
I'm convinced they learned from their mistake though. You can see they'll do ANYTHING to try and fix things, but in reality it's just a botched game with similarities to Diablo 2.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]audi911[/nom]Blizzard is trying to fix every fail they made with this game.They are trying to bandaid this game at an alarming rate.It's discouraging to see how they are trying to hard to make this failed game playable.They know they botched this game so bad and can never make it comparable to Diablo 2. I am beginning to think these patches and ridiculous add ons are thought up on the fly by a team of people who are all facepalming themselves saying, "How did we screw this game up so bad!"[/citation]

How did they screw up so bad? They made sell records. Blizzard is just a bunch of arrogant drones. They're not facepalming, they're just trying to manipulate people into continuing to feed the scam they crafted over the years. They're just maybe disapointed people don't get much into the RMHA thing, but facepalming? No. Arogant ***Holes don't facepalm, cause they're always right.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]reviewer889[/nom]Blizzard mistakes:1.Auction House2.Real Money Auction HouseYou can tell they really went for $$$ with this one.I'm convinced they learned from their mistake though. You can see they'll do ANYTHING to try and fix things, but in reality it's just a botched game with similarities to Diablo 2.[/citation]

1. RMHA

Things Non-Fanboys Care For:

2. Skill Change On-the-Fly
3. No Stats Placement
4. Subpar Graphical Technology (With bad performances on decent hardware at that)
5. Toned Down Artstyle
6. Being a game from a Studio so arrogant they even created a secret level to make fun of serious past Diablo fans who were concerned with the changes in style they were going for. Fanboys told them to shup up, turn out they were right. How arrogant you have to be to make actual in-game content to nag customers?

pierogi210

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Big problem with this game is the randomization. It really sucks. I've played this game quite a few times and I'm still going into the same locations. D2 had it right. D3 really screwed the pooch on this one. Paragon system doesn't fix the flaws in this game. And Jay W. You can F*** Off. D1 and 2 creator interview is fill with truth. It's the arrogance of yourself and your company that destroyed the Diablo spirit.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
To put it simply (Blizzard, I hope you're reading this): I'll stay with my GODLIKE Torchlight, thank you very much. Diablo III, you can go f*unk yourself, I don't care about you anymore.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]thor220[/nom]Because both games were a large disappointment for their respective franchises. You can see that each game is very flawed and that blizzard is trying to fix their's. But in comparison, Bioware spends much less time fixing their game after release than blizzard does. At least they are trying to do something positive, albeit, for their own reasons.[/citation]

The only flaw ME3 had was its ending, everything else was ten times better than the previous game and the gameplay in ME3 reached a movie quality that the previous game lacked. So no, a comparison can't be made between the two games.

Any programmer worth a crap knows you do not change a season tested design. Improve on it yes but not totally white wash the crap out of it till nothing is left. Why blizzard put the low level cap and screwed up specialized character builds is beyond stupid. With any luck they may figure this out before all those who purchased the game stops playing. Once players hit the new cap again no reason to play as those players have the best build.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
This isn't a very good system because it doesn't improve gameplay in any way, shape, or form. All it does is slightly decrease difficulty over time by giving you stats. This is a feature that targets achievement oriented players rather than gameplay oriented players, however in order for achievements to be worth anything, they have to establish some solid gameplay so that there is a player-base to worship people who are paragon level 100.

This idea was suggested by Kripp, and was widely supported by his youtube followers, so it would make sense for Blizzard to implement because it will either work, or they can say "hey, you guys wanted it, it's your fault." Although the idea had a lot of potential, I don't think Blizzard thought it through very well. Every time I gain a paragon level, I want to unlock something new, not gain an additional dex.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]schnitter[/nom]So, over time, with all the extra stats with paragon... the end game will get easier and easier. Not only this, but a lvl 60 with full paragon will be completely broken for PVP. Basically, if you want to PvP with a char, you need to be maxed Paragon. This also makes you unable to PvP with 2 chars successfully. Thanks blizzard, I see no reason to come back to this sh!t game.[/citation]
Where did you read that, maybe they will match you with someone with your same paragon level....

[citation][nom]reviewer889[/nom]Blizzard mistakes:1.Auction House2.Real Money Auction HouseYou can tell they really went for $$$ with this one.I'm convinced they learned from their mistake though. You can see they'll do ANYTHING to try and fix things, but in reality it's just a botched game with similarities to Diablo 2.[/citation]
Given they get no incentive for you to keep playing after the purchase, other than the RMAH, I'm sure if they could do it again, and try to fix everything wrong with the game, the AH and RMAH would remain.

reviewer889

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom]1. RMHAThings Non-Fanboys Care For:2. Skill Change On-the-Fly3. No Stats Placement4. Subpar Graphical Technology (With bad performances on decent hardware at that)5. Toned Down Artstyle6. Being a game from a Studio so arrogant they even created a secret level to make fun of serious past Diablo fans who were concerned with the changes in style they were going for. Fanboys told them to shup up, turn out they were right. How arrogant you have to be to make actual in-game content to nag customers?[/citation]

Not sure if you're calling me a fan-boy. I'm stating their mistakes. 2 to 6 are just things they were well aware of when releasing. Totally intentional, not a good move but still not a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.