Blizzard, AT&T Sign Miltimillion Dollar Hosting Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I haven't had any insanely weird connections issues with blizzard "so" far hopefully it will keep up. Most of any issues have been with the game itself, Patches etc..

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
so that's why they wont have tethering, because they want to make sure they have room for world of warcrap. 2 of the worst companies teaming up, bad idea.

G

Blizzard has had very good service from ATT for the past 5 years, no reason they would not continue with it. What is the other option anyway? Comcast?

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]czar1020[/nom]I haven't had any insanely weird connections issues with blizzard "so" far hopefully it will keep up. Most of any issues have been with the game itself, Patches etc..[/citation]

I'm of the same mind. The only reason I raise a skeptical eyebrow is due to the fact that AT&T has a tendency to bite off more than they can chew in regards to their network infrastructure, iPhone anyone? With Blizzard's growth, and soon to be released SC2, will we see an increase in users which will negatively impact AT&T's networks? I hope not, but I'm wary.

G

Mark my words. The average Starcraft player is most likely someone that has above average computer skills. Not to mention the many software programmers that play. Therefore, most likely one or a group of them will create a lan patch for Starcraft 2. Here is my problem with a battle.net only Starcraft. I recently played the Beta version playing only versus computer opponents and I got disconnected from Battle.net and my game got scrapped. I was not playing vs other people? WOW... no pun intended

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]For the millionth time, ATT doesn't have the network it needs for this...it doesn't have the network it needs for any of it services.[/citation]

Wireless != Wired

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
LOLz, at first I thought "strange article to headline on toms", it's largely irrelevant who hosts game services since every host is just about the same. Then, I remembered the fascination with AT&T thanks to the iPhone. Got it, carry on.

AT&T's 3g network sucks because GSM wasn't really designed for an entire city worth of apple fans to click "refresh" on the apple homepage repeatedly until something new about the iPad shows up.

As someone who has worked on site on their hosting facilities, I can say that their wired network is sufficiently massive. What do you think they are doing with all that connectivity that used to carry landline phone calls? As for their services, rest assured they spare no expense when they build out a hosting site; they have close to 100 of them across the US which is something unheard of for any hosting company that's not also a telco.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Oh, and LOL@ the starcraft head pic. That guy is in for a world of hurt once the cigar burns down to his lips (considering it's out of reach thanks to his helmet). "Hmm, burn the lips, or let it drop and burn other, lower body parts... decisions decisions..."

[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]For the millionth time, ATT doesn't have the network it needs for this...it doesn't have the network it needs for any of it services.[/citation]

It looks like they are already IN a contract, just expanding it. And Blizzard does not have many network issues that I can find. Play WoW quite a bit with the wife and son, can't recall a time there was an issue with server connections that was not my ISPs fault.

flea420

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Att has been hosting the wow servers from day 1. You think this changes anything? They are only expanding the length of their contract with them.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Blizzard has had very good service from ATT for the past 5 years, no reason they would not continue with it. What is the other option anyway? Comcast?[/citation]
Mzima, they already host the WoW datacenter in Seattle. (=

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]What is the other option anyway? Comcast?[/citation]

Likely Verizon (now that they own MCI Worldcom). Comcast isn't a major carrier so anything they contracted with to provide would be from someone else.

amasen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]You mean the same servers were patches were downloaded at 100KB/s and I got 5000ms ping?[/citation]

Funny. I get 500Kbps and ~25ms Ping... Maybe your problem is a bit closer to home :p

Revord

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Well, I didnt know that ATT has had an existing contract with blizzard, but the title caught my attention as an ohs noes! With the recent problems ATT has had with some of their services, it seemed like a bad deal, however, since reading the article, this particular deal is probably good for both companies. Im sure that ATT makes SURE to keep blizzard in business. Forget the little guys, they dont count, but keep the big bucks rolling in. Thats how they roll yo.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Nothing against ATT's wired networks, but, still, no lan no sc2 for me.[/citation]
Ditto, FU Activision/Blizzard. $59 price 3X for the final product, again FU.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

You don't seem to understand what hosting is vs. a phone network...

Status
Not open for further replies.