Blizzard Auctioning World of Warcraft Server Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

'' know it's not just a piece of discarded junk with an additional commemorative plaque signed by the World of Warcraft team''

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
This might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions [citation][nom]ironmb[/nom]Milk the idiots for more money.[/citation]

What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Besides, they do it for charity. Blizzard doesn't need lots of publicity really, I doubt they get much from the charity except a tax break maybe.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
The real question are these things still functional. I don't play WoW but i am always looking to pick up servers/server parts on the cheap(though i doubt they will be). Plus i would be supporting a good cause as well ^_^;

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]This might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.[/citation]
It's still milking their fanbase for more money. They'll pay extra just to get the WoW logo and the server's "super history"...

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Also how do you have net proceeds on something that's second hand? They cost lets say 10x when Blizzard bought them new, they sell them for 5x....oh $0 in net proceeds!

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
**ALERT**

Starting Nov 5th, Blizzard will be auctioning off replica pens of the real pens used by Blizzard employees to make notes, draw pictures on napkins, and write obscene things on the bathroom stalls. These pens were used by the real blizzard employees, including janitors, window washers, and mail room operates, and some worthless crab.

Proceeds will first be offset by costs of collecting said pens from said employees and then will be distributed to several organizations that will introduce new players to World of Warcraft and the upcoming Titan.

Tune in next week for used toilet papers by the actual designers!

**End Alert**

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]I'm guessing you didn't see the part about the proceeds going to charity.[/citation]
i am sure that not all of the funds will go to charity....there is a catch somewhere, there always is

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
All the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.

What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?

G

[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]It's still milking their fanbase for more money. They'll pay extra just to get the WoW logo and the server's "super history"...[/citation]

It's not milking unless Blizzard keeps the money. This is a donation sponsored by Blizzard where they happen to give you a "prize."

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]The net proceeds from the auction will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital[/citation]

"Net proceeds" is a questionable term.

G

Blizzard has made a ridiculous amount of money I dont think they are trying to milk anyone for any more money than they already have. This is free press like thaile4ever stated. But it is a good thing they are doing. Considering how much these nerds who play WoW would pay for a piece of their "history" this could do a lot of good. Id rather a nerd give a boatload of money for a server gathering dust that has intrinsic value to them than it get thrown in an industrial compactor, and that money go to cancer research

[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]All the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?[/citation]

Actually they donate the Net proceeds to charity because they can take a bigger Tax Deduction on the parts that way than they ever could get reselling the Used parts -- they can claim a charitable deduction for the donated proceeds instead of the retail value of the Used parts which have probably already been written off so have no book value at present so they turn a tidy profit by donating the proceeds instead of having to pay taxes on the sale of the old equipment.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]This might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions
What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.[/citation]
Wrong, they are not functional. This from WoW's site...

Q: Is the server blade functional?
A: The HP server blade is not functional and contains no World of Warcraft or Blizzard-related data. It's a barebones retired HP server blade, and is intended as a unique collector’s item and not a piece of functioning hardware.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]All the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?[/citation]
I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but I know Bobby Kotick's history. I also played WoW from launch until this past June. My observing them post merger makes me question their motives.

Something along the lines of "We don't have the time to include the content for Wrath/Cataclysm we talked about" becomes days later "We have this new pet/mount on the Blizzard store". And of course with the latest pet they just announced a few days ago, it won't be like the previous pets where if you buy it and it unlocks on all characters. No, if you buy it, you can use it on a SINGLE character so if you want it on more then one, you have to buy more copies of it.

Then there was the original intention of making Real ID grouping only available for premium fee. This would have made World of Warcraft the first pay-to-pay-to-play game. The plan was only cancelled after player uproar.

So unless you have examples of Blizzard's altruism post merger where Vivendi made Kotick CEO of Activision Blizzard, don't try to make those who question Blizzard's motives seem like wacky conspiracy theorists. The above cited things are only a few of the many things that can be brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.